BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Gun Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mgb 56 picture request

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qed296 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mgb 56 picture request
    Posted: 30 March 2016 at 4:29pm
Hi all,

Found this site a few years back while looking into 56,morning flight...its sad state and so on....

My grandad served on this boot,and it seems there's very little in the way of past service pictures or info.

I'm under no illusions it's now probably totally gone as it's condition was dire.

So in hope I ask if anybody has or can point me in the direction of old pictures and info.

Thanks in advance.
NMKwiatkowski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMKwiatkowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2016 at 3:49pm
Good afternoon.

I've also had an ongoing interest in Morning Flight. I lived on the yard as a boy, and actually went onboard her before she was removed from the mooring where she sat for years, presumably on the mud. I was always under the impression that Cmdr Ashey bought her after the war, engines never having been fitted and thus surplus to requirements. I'm wondering if she is indeed MGB 56 at all...
 As you may have guessed, she still sits where you last saw her, playing host to an abundance of wildlife, and slowly returning to nature - a sad story indeed... 
 Interestingly, recent developments between the landowner and the local water authority have brought her future into question. 
NMKwiatkowski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMKwiatkowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2016 at 3:56pm
qed296 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qed296 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 10:00pm
Evening all, having looked on Google earth it would seem there's still a wreck on thorpe island.

Can anybody confirm it is actually still there and not an old image reused.

Is there anybody local to take fresh pictures??

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic