BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Where Are Those Boats Now
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Naval pinnace abandoned in north Devon!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Valnewman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valnewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Naval pinnace abandoned in north Devon!
    Posted: 10 March 2024 at 9:52pm
Hello again. I just wondered if you k ow what has happened now to the Restless Sea. If it still exists at all, where is it please? I would love to see it. Thank you
Valnewman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valnewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2024 at 8:56pm
Restless Sea belonged to my dad. AG Bryson. He had to sell it in 1976 or 1977 as he could not afford it. I don't know who.bought it. Was a beautiful boat. I've tried to find out what happened to it for years! I cried when I read this. I have photos of it.
jimmyp2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyp2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2020 at 12:39am
If anyone interested then best bet is keep it simple and talk to the landowner where she dumped. If no groundrent been paid for a few years then could probably be had for cost of scrap brass on her unless the farmer sympathetic and says take it. either way get a reciept! 
 Any contact details? a livaboard in my mates barn is better than a bonfire and much cheaper than working on them in a marina
tried to idiot proof...they had me outnumbered
Paul Eedle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Eedle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2020 at 10:57am
Phil Simons has kindly provided the following information to solve the mystery. Would anyone be interested in joining a rescue effort?

I do know of Restless Seas, she was afloat and moored on the Hamble 5/94, 6/96, 5/98. And at the Ferry B.Y. 8/02 (not sure where that was.)

She is a 52ft 6” Steam Pinnace built by Rowhedge Ironworks Co Ltd, Rowhedge in 1919 but we don’t know her Admiralty number.

Her official number is 301248, Dimensions 52½ft-oa x 12½ft-beam x 5ft-draft.  34grt. In 1965 she had a 6cyl Perkins diesel 96bhp, built 1964.

At this time she was rigged as an auxiliary ketch, carrying 750sqft of sail (by Windward, 1961)

Her owner in 1963 - 1968 was D.V. Iles of 8 Downhall Road, Rayleigh, Essex  (this I when she first appears in The Yacht Registers) Registered London, Homeport Westcliff-on-Sea

By 1970 - 1973 owned by A.G. Bryson of 33 Cubbington Road, Leamington Spa, Warwicks. Registered London, Homeport, Burnham on Crouch. 

Out of Register from 1974.

Paul Eedle
guidingstar1907.com
Paul Eedle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Eedle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2020 at 11:01am
Does anyone know anything about this naval pinnace which I found abandoned behind a shed in a north Devon village? The name on her transom is Restless Sea.

She has beautiful double diagonal hull planking, a dog house with large glass windows, and a saloon which looks like it could host a banquet for 20. The rain has filled her with water but it's not running out so her hull might still be sound. Locals say she was abandoned after some disagreement over insurance but I haven't been able to find out anything about her.

Paul Eedle
guidingstar1907.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic