BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motor Torpedo Boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motor Torpedo Boats
    Posted: 06 March 2006 at 9:40pm
Sadly MTB 466 was one of the 5 similar boats lost in the fire at Ostend (459,462,461 and 465 were also lost) with the loss of 28 Canadian sailors.See www.junobeach.org they have a full-res image. 
E.S.ChildsDrum1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.S.ChildsDrum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2006 at 10:18am

Hello again Cristian I have a correction to make. It does appear that some Vosper boats did have a chart house for`rd of the bridge but it was unlike that of the BPBs as it was lower and had much larger  windows insted of slits and no vents on the roof.

Regards Ted Childs Drum1

E.S.Childs
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.S.ChildsDrum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2006 at 11:29pm

Your right Cristian the inboard boat is indeed a British Power Boat Note the vents on top of the deck house roof in fact as far as I know Vospers Did`nt have a deck house.

Ted Childs Drum1

E.S.Childs
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2006 at 11:19pm

Hi Explosion

Thanks for passing on the info,first I've heard of these interesting weapons.I have to disagree with Aye John's assertion that the inboard boat is a Vosper though.

Regards,Christian

Explosion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Explosion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2006 at 6:30pm

John Lambert has kindly identified the units and their equipment in the photograph from a Canadian site posted by Christian. His identification is as follows:

The outboard unit is a 71' 6" British Power Boat MTB, and the inboard unit is a Vosper with the small Mark 12 lightweight Depth Charges. These were used from D-Day to combat German one man submarines. Much smaller and lighter than the standard depth charge, more could be carried on MTB's which did not have ASDIC fitted anyway, so they could be dropped on sighting a target in the darkness. (Germans thought they were anti-social). I think that they could be used to sweep the new pressure mines, which were unsweepable. You will see many Mark 12 DC's fitted on post war units too.

The picture is from the right period too with the US Star air recognition forward - middle of 1944.

Explosion
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.S.ChildsDrum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 9:19pm

Hi Jimmy 1

I will be going to the Coastal Forces Veterans Association meeting next month I will take the pic with me and see if one of the lads can enlighten us. but I suspect that the are probably depth charges used to drop in front of E-boats.

Ted Childs Drum1.

E.S.Childs
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 8:43pm

Hi Jim

My wartime effort,pales in comparison but may be of some use to you.Built the model before I had the plans,an odd choice really.

Jimmy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 5:01pm

Wow, I am impressed. Exquisite work. I hope mine turns out as nice as this one. Thanks for sharing the photo. Ted please post some more views soon. I need all the inspiration I can get.

Jimmy1

Jimmy1
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 12:18pm

Hello Jim and Christian

Mr Ted Childs has asked that I put this shot of his lovely model here.

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
Jimmy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2006 at 3:21pm

Thanks Ted for the clarification on the deck strips. I should have thought of that.

Christian, I read that with the lack of torpedo worthy targets, the idea of using depth charges set shallow and dropped close to enemy hulls was tried with some success. These are not standard size depth charges for sure. Hopefully some veterans can clarify their use.

Jimmy1

Jimmy1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic