BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motor Torpedo Boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motor Torpedo Boats
    Posted: 21 February 2006 at 1:46am
 I have just made my first 1/24th scale fiberglas hull of the B.P.B. 71.5ft boat, from a mould I constructed. The plans I have by John Pritchard are a little vague as to layout on the deck. Does anyone know where I can see or obtain photos of the deck areas showing the wheelhouse from aft,etc? The drawings appear to show 5 raised stringers running the whole length of the deck. Is that correct? Were they reinforcement for the deck? Any help would be appreciated. Tnx.
Jimmy1
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2006 at 11:46pm

Hello Jim

Funnily enough this is from a Canadian site,wish I'd had this ultra clear and informative pic before I finished my 1/16th MTB 494.Also see Coastal Forces discussion,Proud Class sub heading,there is an aft view of Edward Childs' magnificent Proud Class model at 1/16th scale(post war adaptation of the BPB Co 71.5ft MTB). Good luck.

Edited by Christian
Jimmy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2006 at 12:43am

Thanks Christian for the photo and info.

Jimmy1

Jimmy1
E.S.ChildsDrum1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.S.ChildsDrum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2006 at 10:12am

Hi. Jimmy 1

The strips running from fore to aft on the deck are to cover the joints of the sheets of ply which went to make up the deck.

Ted Childs Drum 1

E.S.Childs
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2006 at 10:58am

Hi Ted,Re the pic above,what do you think the inboard boat has in place of it's 18" tubes,and more of them further aft?I would imagine mines or depth charges but they look too small.

Regards,Christian

Jimmy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2006 at 3:21pm

Thanks Ted for the clarification on the deck strips. I should have thought of that.

Christian, I read that with the lack of torpedo worthy targets, the idea of using depth charges set shallow and dropped close to enemy hulls was tried with some success. These are not standard size depth charges for sure. Hopefully some veterans can clarify their use.

Jimmy1

Jimmy1
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 12:18pm

Hello Jim and Christian

Mr Ted Childs has asked that I put this shot of his lovely model here.

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
Jimmy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 5:01pm

Wow, I am impressed. Exquisite work. I hope mine turns out as nice as this one. Thanks for sharing the photo. Ted please post some more views soon. I need all the inspiration I can get.

Jimmy1

Jimmy1
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 8:43pm

Hi Jim

My wartime effort,pales in comparison but may be of some use to you.Built the model before I had the plans,an odd choice really.

E.S.ChildsDrum1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.S.ChildsDrum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 9:19pm

Hi Jimmy 1

I will be going to the Coastal Forces Veterans Association meeting next month I will take the pic with me and see if one of the lads can enlighten us. but I suspect that the are probably depth charges used to drop in front of E-boats.

Ted Childs Drum1.

E.S.Childs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic