Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > E Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

E boat Machinery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E boat Machinery
    Posted: 07 January 2005 at 5:14pm
In Nigel Lewis's book 'Channel Firing' he states that the e boats were powered by BMW engines. I have seen several quotes that they were powered by Mercedes engines while elsewhere I have seen reference to MAN and Maybach machinery. Were all these manufacturers building to a common design or were there in fact just one supplier?
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
cducane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cducane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2005 at 2:00pm
I understood that the E-boats were powered by Daimler Benz MB 501 diesel engines. I am not certain whether they were the same engines as manufactured by Maybach etc. I believe that Maybach had had a difference with the Third Reich government. The history of the MB501 goes back to WW1 when they were developed to power the Zeppelins being built at that time!
crusade
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2005 at 2:52pm

Many thanks for the answer to my query, I am not quite sure what the engines were in the ex-E-boat that was at 'HMS Hornet'. By that time (mid '50's) it was painted up as an RN vessel and even had an RN Pennant number but no name.

I do think that this craft, the E-boat, was used as a 'dummy' for testing various main machinery including the Napier Deltic.

Edited by Pioneer
herkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2005 at 8:31am

My understanding, is that E boats used the MB501 engine for propulsion, and the Myabach engine was used to generate power.

Can anyone advise what was the outcome on S97, my understanding was she was to come to you guys in 2002.  What is the current situation and is it still intended to restore her.

Regards

Col Tigwell

Downunder

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2005 at 9:18am

Hello Col

The last info that I had on S97 was that 'he' was  broken up during 2004. I am not sure whether that was the craft that was at HMS Hornet or whether it was S130 the boat now under restoration. S130 is now at Plymouth, under cover and continuing with its full restoration.

Nice to hear from you down there

herkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2005 at 10:14am

I have a vague reference, that there still may be one more S boat in the USA.  Have you heard anymore.

Do you have any information on why S97 was broken up.

Thanks

Col

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2005 at 4:25pm

Hello Col

The only info that I have on S97 is that she (he) was considered a 'total loss' and broken up in 2004. The boat had the same owner as S130 so I guess that it will have helped in someway for that boats restoration, but there I'm only guessing.

I have no info on S-boats in America but I'm sure that a few may have been shipped over after WW2, may be our friends from 'across the pond' can help?

alross2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alross2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 12:24pm

To the best of my knowledge, there are no surviving schnelleboote in the US.  A few were brought over for testing, but I think they were all scrapped.  Visit www.prinzeugen.com.  It is an extensive site on the KM and includes a section on the boats.  There is at least one article in the sboat section that addresses the US-acquired boats.

Al Ross II
bgmarshall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgmarshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2005 at 5:30pm

According to the US Navy's BuShips files at the US National Archives, five S-boats were brought to the United States.   The first was salvaged in LeHavre harbor and brought back to the New York Navy Yard.  Her hull number was never determined.  She was cataloged by the US as CEE #6527 (CEE = Captured Enemy Equipment).  Four others, S116, S218, S225, and S706 were also brought over.  S116, S218, and S225 were taken to the New York Navy Yard for analysis.  S706 ended up at the Phildadelphia Navy Yard.  After some difficulties and limited budgets, S218 was tested in the Chesapeake Bay off Annapolis.  S706 was towed by tug to the Washington Navy Yard for examination by interested parties.  By the late 1940s, CEE #6527 was broken up and burned and the other boats sold off.  S116 surfaced in Miami, Florida for refurbishment (the yard had a heckuva time with the M501 diesels) and was later shipped to Bremerhaven NAB to work with the US Navy's Labor Service Unit B and the Gehlen Organization.  She was eventually taken into the new German Navy as a training vessel.  Word I have is her hulk was broken up and burned in the middle 1960s.

If anyone has additional information on S116 after she got back to Europe, I'd sure like to hear from them.

Chip Marshall
Silver Spring, Maryland USA
mprints View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mprints Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2010 at 7:08pm
Gentlemen, please see my newly discovered photos of Daimler Benz V20 diesel engines that I believe were used in the E Boat that Saunders Roe (Anglesey) Ltd. inspected at Menai Bridge, Anglesey in the 1950's.
Please see www.mprints.co.uk and click the right hand navigator for German E Boat.
I have also added some Dark Class photos under the appropriate heading and some further SARO (Anglesey) products. Happy browsing, Dave Wink
Dave Mills
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic