BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Where Are Those Boats Now
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any "Dog Boats" Still around?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any "Dog Boats" Still around?
    Posted: 24 April 2006 at 8:16pm

Four Questions guys!

1. Do any Farmile D Boats survive?

2.Does anyone know where the Three MTB's that lay up in Irvine Marina on the West coast of Scotland went to ? (Think they were Dark or Gay Class?)

3. Have been watching a Large Grey hull in the River Leven in Dumbarton for the last year,looks like over 70feet and a MTB like hull,Pic to follow (Still need to take!)

4.Two hulls were cut up/burned at Bowling Harbour about 10 years ago,  one was "Whale back" the other i'm sure was a early MGB (Metal plates were guns would go?)

any info would be great,I'm still hunting any in my area,Including a Launch in Balloch Marina with a new cabin,looks about 50 feet in long with 40's looking hull

Jim.

Edited by Jim
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2006 at 9:37pm

Hello Jim

Re Fairmile D's,unfortunately the last known survivor,a houseboat called Luna Sea (ex RAF LRRC 029 ex RN MTB 682 )was broken up at her berth in Shoreham in the summer of 2003,having deteriorated too badly to repair.She was replaced with the Schutze Class minesweeper Fische.For pics and info buy a copy of Philip Simons' "Retired on The River",available through The Small Craft Group of the World Ship Society.Look forward to seeing your pic of Grey Hull.

Regards,Christian.

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 2:37pm

Here are some shots showing the disintegration of 'D' ex-MTB 683 - sad viewing - but a little still remains at May 2006

The remains of what once was a classic of British Coastal Forces is just above the top right red car.

Edited by Pioneer
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 9:39am

Hello,

Just seen the great shots of the ex D at Chatham posted by pioneer, I have a couple of shoreside shots I took in the early 90's, she then came up for sale, I had no money then, but she then caught fire and you see what remains, such a shame that none of this classic, as you say, example of war time coastal forces vessels now remain, I wish that perhaps just one was around "somewhere" so that we could have had a chance at saving one, but unfortunatly, that is the position of so many historic craft, even if only one remains, there is not the resources to save them.

John Kempton

Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2006 at 11:18am

Hi Guys the "Grey Painted hull" in Dumbarton is a Vosper 68 RTTL

She is afloat and in good order,I am off for the week so i will get the chance to photo her.

Sad to hear about  the last Dog boat end,pity if that was the last one.Great to see the pic's cheers Pioneer.

I am told by a pal of mine of a old Hulk up the West Coast type unknown will be up that way soon,think I will have a search on a day off!

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2006 at 11:46am

Hi Jim

Vosper 68ft RTTL survivors are (locations correct in 2005):

ex 2748 "Flying Dream" being restored at Plymouth.

ex 2751 "Phoenix" being restored at a secret location (south coast) was previously on The Hamble.

ex 2752 (or 2758 depending on who you talk to) "Barracuda" at Malta.

ex 2753 Dad's "Flywood" at Gibraltar.

ex 2757 Static exhibit at Hendon RAF Museum (now joined by Pinnace 1374).

ex 2768 Laid up at Malta having served as Customs Launch "C-68".

ex 2770 "Osprey" at Preston.

ex 2771 Laid up at Malta,ex "C-71".

I wonder which one you have spotted,most likely Osprey.The above info supplied by Donald Smith,RAF Marine Craft Historian.

Regards,Christian 

Edited by Christian
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2006 at 12:56pm

Osprey in service

Hi Jim,Re Grey Hull-this is the only pic I have of Osprey,not a very good one I'm afraid.Her distinguishing features seem to be the extension to the back of the deckhouse and the guardrails running around the roof.Is this the boat you saw?

Regards,Christian. 

Edited by Christian
Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 10:25pm

Hi Christian

Looks like her,

I.m trying to get the pics down to size to get them on.

She has been in Dumbarton for about two years!(Not to sure about my source)

and has had a lot of work done to her in the Marina she was out of the water for a few months in 2005.

looks grand at the moment!

I am told that an other MTB type was getting worked on there last year???

the story goes on!

Edited by Jim
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 6:15pm

Hi Jim

I think your source is absolutely right,you can just make out "Sandpoint Marina" (Dumbarton) painted on the hoist,and this pic is no newer than 2003.

Re other MTB-type,we'll have to try to track her down.

Regards,Christian

Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 7:50pm

Well you were of course correct!

It is the Osprey. (I should have read the sign,but that would be too easy!)

Thanks Christian for the offer to help me fix my Pics it seems a waste to get to show the Osprey as she is now.

The Owner had another MTB/RTTL Vosper called "Wigeon" fate unknown anyone help?

And the West Coast Highlands on the road to Mallag (sorry for spelling) can be seen from the road and in known to the locals as "The German gun boat"I will investigate!

(Quick Update,as of 14/6/06

This hull was cut up last year as the "chap" who lived in it was put in a home....the hull was a motor boat and was removed from a battleship at Scapa Flow,thus the German link a nice chap from the local council e-mailed me to pass on this info...another dead end! bugger)

An MTB was seen in Girvin Harbour last month,one of the boats that lay in Irvine for years?,will be down that way soon so pic to follow.

I have found a boat of 55/60 foot in a small private marinia (Soon to close) in Dumbarton called "Diana II" was called to sevice WWII  built of Alu with a hull very like a CMB built in the 30s is said to been used by Edward and Mrs Simpson more info/Pic to follow fine looking hull.

I am hearing of all sorts of tales of boats up here in various places,as I get them i will try to investigate and get pics if possible. seems like grand fun!

Edited by Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic