BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Where Are Those Boats Now
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

General Message Board on Where Boats Are

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 44>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2007 at 6:58pm

Hi Jim,

Get some more details of this chap, directions, pics if hes got any. Some of us travel about a bit so may get to have a look. Bit out of my way but if half decent or any saveable bits may have to make a long detour with tools & camera

A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws money
Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2007 at 8:06pm

Hi Jimmy

Will be back out next week but will get back online out there...

Info to follow

Regards

Jim.

jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2007 at 1:42am

I started out years ago thinking one of these boats would make a cool weekend toy. I've since learned the bigger picture on them including family history & its a real eye opener. Suffice to say if i get one personally outside a group effort then i wont see myself as the owner, more as the keeper of history until another generation can take responsibility & learn from past mistakes.

Stay lucky 'out there' jim. All the best amigo

Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2007 at 6:54am
I'm away from home at the moment and haven't got all my paperwork. Re the black hulled whaleback mentioned on 25 Feb, looks a lot like MGB 84 which Philip Simonds sorted out had been burnt or dismantled around 2000.
Peter
BoatBird View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoatBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2007 at 7:55pm

Found the location of HSL 2625 in Limassol

Sadly in need of restoration!

She is double-planked mahogany (on what???). Hull has been stripped of usable parts/ anything that could be removed. Looks like she has a shell hole in side but ship number is clearly visible on the bow with the round 'target' mark. Around 20m in length although I am not too sure as I didn't take a measure with me. I have 50+ photos of inside and outside if anyone wants a copy of any photos PM me- I have posted her details elsewhere on this forum

dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2007 at 2:20pm
Hi,

I'd love to see tham ands will stick them up on a web page for others to see if you'd like.

Please email me at don@rania.co.uk.

Thanks

Don

Only a number, not even a name. How shall posterity hear of thy fame?
marksaab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksaab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2007 at 4:46pm

Hi All

As its Friday and I'm not in work mood....here are a few pic updates from my visit to Woodbridge a few weeks ago.

HSL 2605 had a chat with the nice guy at the yard who now owns her, he is working to bring her back to life...she is basically complete with decent engines etc but needs lots of TLC, he admits its going to be a long job!  

HSL 2656 "Astral"

Apparently basically OK, no bulkheads though!, Maybe up for sale.

Old Whaleback  "Viking" I think!

She was broken and burnt a few years ago, pics below a reminder of the before and after.

Thats all for now, more soon I hope.

Mark

Only yield when you must, never "give up the ship," but fight on to the last "with a stiff upper lip!"
jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2007 at 7:38pm

2656 looks tidy, have to keep an eye on that one. Any idea of price?

Another two survivors. Well found Mark

marksaab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksaab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2007 at 4:42pm

Hi Jimmy

Apparently last time she was up for sale it was for £70K

Obviously didn't sell, owner moving to land soon...prob open to offers. I think these ones are always difficult to value, on the one had they are almost worthless...but show an interest and up goes the price...think thats what happened to the Golden Galleon.

I think if a sincere approach is made showing that the aim is to save the boat and not make a quick buck then its possible a sensible offer could be accepted...who knows!

I will post ref 506 on the 506 thread.

have a good weekend..see you again soon

Mark

Only yield when you must, never "give up the ship," but fight on to the last "with a stiff upper lip!"
jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2007 at 3:15am

May be worth a chat with the owners, although if they asked £70k i'd expect a written apology for that superstructure. Yes i know if they hadnt been houseboats they wouldnt be here but you have to admit some of them are bloody ugly now!

Golden Galleon still a sorepoint. More politics than realism that destroyed her.Would only have signed her over if i had 1.5million to spend on her. Yes she was bad but not in the danger of heeling over in the water that the BA said she was (sure the BA was the black guy from the a-team) Think the poor guy who had to dismantle her, with years of boat experience knew more than some t**t politician who probably never learned to swim let alone handle a boat was more qualified to decide her fate.

If idiots like that were running things in 1939 then we'd all be pretty fluent in german right now

Edited by jimmy p
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 44>
  Share Topic