BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > High Speed Launches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HSL 145

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HSL 145
    Posted: 13 July 2006 at 10:28am

This is a continuation topic regarding HSL145 abandoned in West Mersea, Essex

Topic started in:

www.bmpt.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=144&PN= 0&TPN=1

1). Trying to locate previous owner ( A Mr Crump of Burnham-On-Crouch Essex).  

2).  Mr Brukett ( ex-WW2 ASR crew) is contacting Duxford/National Maritime museum etc to see if they can take her.

3). We may have located a local chap with a Tug & lighter that is big enough to take her. They sink the lighter and in theory, at high tide, 145 could float onto the lighter for transport.

A local shipwright was not too optimistic about making her watertight but says it is 'doable'  If she was pulled 20 yards forward, she would be on hard ground and not in the mud.  Any remedial work could be done there so she could hopefully float.

HSL 145 is pretty much the last of the RAF HSL launches of WW2.  Most of the other survivors have been lost in the last few years.   Only 2 others are currently known of,

Robrina is a houseboat in Shoreham and HSL2548 is abandoned ( but still owned by a Spanish local!!)  in Spain.

Is there anyone who wants to help with saving this boat or has any ideas of where she could find a home.

Ideas welcome!

Edited by Pioneer - 18 July 2012 at 2:55pm
Don

Only a number, not even a name. How shall posterity hear of thy fame?
dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2006 at 10:29am

Don

trevera25 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevera25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2006 at 10:38am

Hi Don , I'm here , and still a willing hand

Not sure about the possibility of moving her forward though , if it can be done without ripping her apart , then yes it would be better to be out of the mud , but will the hull take the pressure ?

Cheers

Dave

AndyS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2006 at 11:36am
Dave

I have been thinking about the movement options...

Dragging her on to the hard sounds attractive, but I think that it could be extremely risky. Where can she be pushed and pulled from which can be relied upon and reasonably sound. Also protection for the boat on the ground would be a problem. and she would try to twist as she comes on to the harder ground. The scope for causing a high degree of damage is high.

Floating onto a barge could be much more kindly. I would envisage some form of cradle with at least 4 section, and ideally 8 or more, pre-mounted on to the barge with guide posts. Lock the sections to make sure that they do not move. Float the boat on and locate into the cradle where it can settle into shape for repairs. Cradle and boat can be fastened together for lifting, jacking and handling if moving off the barge. The cradle longitudinals and temporary deck longitudinals can be used to provide all of the longitudinal strength that is needed and can be from cheap builders tmbers and shuttering/sterling board. BMPT may have some records of the shapes/cradle that they originally used for the 63' Whaleback hull that used to be on their site. The owner may have some other information too.
A basic idea of the cradle structure would be similar to the link below (but in this case it was used for other reasons) :-
http://www.nhsc.org.uk/index.cfm/event/getVessel/vref/1223/p ic/3

AndyS

trevera25 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevera25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2006 at 11:48am

Hi Andy

That is certainly worth a thought , but if we can shift a load of the mud from the bilges , without damaging the wood , she could be floated higher up the bank on the next springs , which I believe is early September . After clearing as much mud as possible , make good any leaks , then cradle float into a barge for moving .

Cheers

Dave

dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2006 at 10:36am
Update:

Well no update really. No location has been found that we could move her to.   Spoke to a curator at Duxford and they have enough boats and don't plan to have any more. 

Has anyone any ideas on where she could be taken to?

I have drawings of a HSL cradle somewhere that I'll dig out.  I think it was on a set of John Lambert drawings.

Cheers

Don

trevera25 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevera25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 1:13am

Hi Don , sorry to hear it's not going too well , have you moved forward at all on moving her first . If she can be moved to a land based location , I can work on the place . But only if there is a way of moving her

Cheers

Dave

jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 11:07pm

Anyone know what happened to HSL142?

Did anyone get round to saving her or has she been broken?

jim

A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws money
dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 11:21am

Hi All,

Well as I said in the beginning, my offer was to try to help get her out of the mud into somewhere dry for someone to restore her in the future. I thought the ASR group or Duxford museum might want her.  No volunteers (other than Dave) to do anything and no one wants to take her, strore her or restore her.

It's a real shame really but I cannot do it on my own. I'll donate £200 to the move to anyone who can take her and save her.

Don

Alex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 11:59am
Hi All,
Regarding 145, I can't contribute much to her salvation, she's clearly way to far gone for me to take on for all kinds of reasons but I live only ten miles from Mersea and would turn out to lend a hand moving her etc if anyone was brave enough to try.
By the way that offer does include getting tired and filthy as part of the mud shoveling gang, just give me enough notice to keep the time free.
Alex.

Edited by Alex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
  Share Topic