BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Where Are The Personnel Now
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

George Selman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EarlB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: George Selman
    Posted: 01 August 2006 at 9:28am

When I joined Lister Blackstone Marine Co in 1962 their Naval Architect was non other than the late George Selman of British Power Boats. George became a good friend and mentor to me during my tenure with the company and taught me a lot about my own calling as a Marine Engineer as well as many other aspects of powered craft in general. He had a great deal of experience in his own field and there is little doubt that he was "the" authority on propellors in his time, his high speed propellor designs were the basis of many propellors in use to day. People like George and Peter Du Cane of Vospers made a great contribution to the outcome of WWII, something in my view that deserved considerably more recognition.

Earl
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2006 at 10:20am

Hi EarlB

Apparently he even designed the props for the Queen Mary!

Genius.

AndyS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2006 at 4:01pm
EarlB

I am glad to hear that you benefitted from his kowledge ad experience.
He was quite unique in his approach to solving issues and the breadth of his background with different areas of naval architecture and shipbuilding.

Regarding recognitions:-

I believe that Peter Du Cane was honoured (I think that he was knighted).

George Selman was made and honourary fellow of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects and awarded their Medal for his lifelong contribution to naval architecture.

The Queen Mary's propellers were George Selman's design, as were  many other vessels and the Manganese Bronze Company's patented 'Scimitar' range of ship propellers. There was a lot of work done in fixing issues with propellers, cavitation and singing of many of the great liners of the day.

cducane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cducane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 12:22pm
My father, Peter Du Cane, was awarded the CBE in 1964 having originally been made an OBE in 1942. He was a fellow of the Royal Institute of Naval Architects, the Royal Society of Arts and many other learned Societies but not knighted. His successor at Vosper, John Rix, was indeed knighted in 1977
crusade
tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2007 at 6:54pm

Hello cducane, any idea what happened to the superb Tramontana my favourite offshore powerboat?

cducane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cducane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 10:17am
Tramontana 1 with the two CRMs (Isotta Fraschini 57 litre engines)was sold in 1962 initially to Agnelli and then on to Volpi. I believe she was sunk off Venice. Her replacement Tramontana 2 eventually had her four 3.8 Jaguar engines changed for Mercruisers last heard of in Majorca some years ago.
crusade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 10:26am
Thank you for your reply cducane, I will keep looking for her as she was my all time favourite powerboat and a joy to see in action  
Willallison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willallison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 1:57am

I saw Taramontana 1, lying derelict on the side of the road a few miles SSE of a small Italian town by the name of Anzio back in 1990.

It saddened me greatly to see such a famous beast - winner of the 1962 Cowes-Torquay - lying in such a state.

There are pics here, for anyone interested..

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?p=150604#pos t150604

Edited by Willallison
Will

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 1:32pm
Well spotted it looks like the first "Tramontana". any thought,s  Mr cducane I wonder if she was refurbished, anybody visiting the Anzio beachhead in the near future?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic