BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Scimitar Class
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HMS Sabre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2007 at 8:29am

Hi there,

Indeed, incredable shots of the accident but shows how well built she is to survive! saw a shot a the BMPT a few years back of a wartime vessel with the bows blown off by a mine, killed the poor chap on the foredeck, but she got back, did they run them astern? bit choppy but less risk I think.

JohnK

Cooperman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooperman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2010 at 8:23pm
It would be very difficult for the Scimitar to hit Alderney as at the time she was in Hong Kong.  The crew of the Scimitar flew to Hong Kong and crewed the Scimitar  which was shipped out  to track down some of the drug smugglers who were running fast boats. Then they changed crew with the Sabre.   The crew of Sabre flew to Hong Kong. The Scimitar  crew then took over the running of the Sabre and it was they who were responsible for running the Sabre into a large part of Alderney.  The Courts Martial took place in HMS Nelson.  HMS Sabre was for a while seen on the slipway at Portland and was known as HMS Bowless.  
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 1:06pm
Many thanks for the update,

Johnk
Nauvtikos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauvtikos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 12:13pm
A new member on here & a bit of an update as far as I have been advised.
I have recently become re aquainted with the wife of an old friend who was on the same mech's course as me in 1975 & also with me on Glamorgan afterwards. Bob (Gatland)
sadly passed away some seven years ago but his widow advises me that he was Chief of the boat prior to her departure to Hong Kong & accompanied her also (by mechant man) for the journey there, She would seem to confirm that it was infact the Sabre that hit the jetty in Alderney.
marenostrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marenostrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 11:20pm
Hello.
I am told that during the second half of the 80's, a class Brave abandoned by the Royal Navy, with civilian crew and loads of contraband cigarettes, was captured in the Ionian Sea, after several rounds of 20 mm Oerlikon went to sign on the apparatus engine .
A 20 mm away the jaw of the captain, the vessel's name was Victoria I below.
As soon as I possibly can and will post more detailed information at least one photo.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marenostrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 12:33am
... This is a Scimitar seized and auctioned off, converted into a restaurant !!!!!
 http://www.pesceazzurro.com/index.aspx?Id=8424&IdLingua=IT
Some are active in Greece, specifically in Corfu for cruise tourism
 http://www.ionian-cruises.com/fleet.htm

Edited by Pioneer - 13 January 2011 at 9:03am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marenostrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 12:46am
This has the hull is very similar.

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 12:51pm
Hi there,

Great shots of the Italian customs? vessels, very nice, well the resturant is a bit of a change shall we say, but better than the scrap yard, could not recognize the ferry vessels, but as with the resturant, much altered I would assume, if I may say publicily, excellent publication received from John a "The Morgan Giles Shipyard" by GK Collyer, fantastic pics of coastal craft and others built there, including the Fairmile D....many thanks,

Regards

John
Bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 1:32pm
Hello All. I have read all the posts on the Scimitar,Cutlass and Sabre and would like you to know my involvement. I was subcontracted to the yard that purchased these craft from RN. The first two needed very little work when they made their departure to new owners in the Med. HMS Sabre I had to loft full size from Bulkhead 13 on the factory floor from Photos as no drawings were avaiable. all frames of 2" thick Iroko The laminated Stem also Iroko was over 30 ft. long.However I had to leave the planking job and let it  be finished by another sub contractor.I did see the finished job before she went to the Med. The odd thing is I had heard through the grapevine that she had been sunk off the coast of Italy. I enjoyed my time in this yard. Working on various ex naval craft. A number of Nasty(Tjelde) class and prior to my time many ex Rn craft including Gay.Dark, Bold and Brave class passed through.
Happy Days
dutchy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 1:24pm
Dear Dave,
I've Only just discovered this site, But I should like to say I was the first stoker to serve aboard HMS SABRE. My name is Anthony Holland ( DUCHY)
I, like all the crew stood by the boat as she was being fitted out at Vosper Thorny-croft, and then went on to do the sea trails. 1971
and at HMS VERNON 4thof March she was commissioned, she was  good boat with a good crew. ( Please find attachments).

Had some good times, left in 1973 because of an injury, I,ve left the RN  and have been a Design draughtsman ever since.

Good Times, though I often wonder about how the all lads done after they did their stint.

It brings Back some memories, covered in diesel, lying down on your back, and making smoke by pressing a button.

Anyway just thought I'd mention it.

Well I wish you good fortune.

And say farewell.

A J Holland
dutchy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic