Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Modelling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modelling a ’Gay’ class

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modelling a ’Gay’ class
    Posted: 02 October 2006 at 8:25pm

Here are two shots of what is expected to be a superb model of the 'Gay' class by Ted Childs. This is a scratch built model in 1/18th scale requiring all of the fittings to be hand built - I will look forward to Posting its progress 

Edited by Pioneer
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2006 at 6:23pm
If only mine were as good as this.
robotski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2006 at 9:59am
Very nice hull work, should be a cracker, is this going to be a static display or working boat?
E.S.ChildsDrum1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.S.ChildsDrum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2006 at 5:22pm

Hi Robotski.

Yes it will most definately be a working model. It will use three seven pole motors. But I dont know if it will plane at scale speed,as it is to be remembered that although you scale the boat you cannot scale the density of the water,therefore it needs to go higher than scale speed plane so considerable more power is needed.and this makes the model heavier.

E.S.C. drum33

E.S.Childs
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.S.ChildsDrum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2006 at 5:23pm

Sorry I should have put Drum1

E.S.Childs
robotski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2006 at 7:03pm
Is the plan to plank the frame on the diagonal and then cross plank it the same way Mike Harrison did with his Ferocity.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.S.ChildsDrum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2006 at 10:46pm

Hi robinski.

Yes, the sides are double diagonal with aircraft nylon doped on between layers, and the bottom is triple diagonal with the nylon under the last layer of planks, this is done after the sides are complete, and is the same as there full sized counterparts. The Nylon membrane forms a waterproof layer and increases the strength.

Regards Ted Drum1

E.S.Childs
robotski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 8:14am

I had seen the planking done on full size craft, my father was a ship wright by trade, but I never knew they used nylon sheeting between the layers, see, you learn somthing every day.

regards

Mike.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.S.ChildsDrum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:31am

Hi, Robotski

On the full size boats they did`nt use Nylon the material used was aircraft fabric which would be too heavy on a model so the nylon used was the light weight nylon used to cover some model aircraft.

Regards Ted Drum1

E.S.Childs
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 4:56pm

The latest shots of Mr E Childs magnificent model of HMS Gay Charger

And a close up of the Bridge under construction -The Compass really is on a working gimble and that door does open.

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic