BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Modelling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB 74

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 11:56pm

Hello,

Don't normally post here, modelling not my thing personally but admire the work of those that do, re St Nazaire film, probabley got this totally wrong, but... thought there was a film involving certainly MLs attacking the lock gates on a dry dock during the war, ramming with exsplosive laden craft on a time delay, going up taking Germans with it? or as said, am thinking of the wrong raid?

John

E.S.ChildsDrum1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.S.ChildsDrum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 12:30pm

Hi all.

Yes there was afilm made of this raid and I remember seeing it but I cant remember the stars involved. I cant see how they could make this film now unless they use wartime footage  as none of those type of boats now exist.

Regards Ted drum1

E.S.Childs
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 6:19pm

Hi Ted and John

There's a superb History Channel documentary about Op Chariot, with great footage of all the boats. Regarding a re-make of the movie, there's probably not that many people who'd know the difference between a Fairmile B and the Pride of Calais, but if the film makers really wanted to there are easily enough Bs around, many close to original and in working order (two or three in the UK, one in Belgium, three or four in Greece and a couple of others scattered around this side of the Atlantic and in this hemisphere, outside these parameters there's even more, around 30 in total globally) the Vosper MTB and Fairmile C MGB would be harder but I'm sure MTB 71 could be launched and although too short and flush decked she'd look the part (or perhaps MTB 98 Grayling or MTB 219, a houseboat in London, with a 70ft hull the same as 74) and houseboat Eidolen at Hayling Island is a sistership to the actual MGB used in the raid and she is apparently quite sound too. Now all we need is the destroyer, perhaps one of the many naval museums in the USA have one of the actual types on display....

Rgds,Christian. 

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 6:42pm

Hello Christian and Ted,

Would love to see that documentary, must get this new fangled digital, well, would it not be great to get hold of some of these millions they put into these films, and get at least a couple of the craft mentioned going again ie like they did for MTB 102, who is of course still used for odd bits of filming now and then, moving to new berth at Newsons yard tomorrow I believe, best of luck with that, as you say, still a number of these craft about but going fast ie 162, and of course if we could really get some funds...a replica D? I know, , but still I can dream.

John 

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 10:13pm
That's a dream I share, I'd like to see the bones of the Chatham D picked up and stored, that way when/if a project gets underway it will be classed as a rebuild (and not a replica) thus having more credibility if it can be shown that at least a portion of the boat is original. From Ted's photos it looks as though the bows may be re-usable, also all the sterngear if it's down there too. At worst the bows could be mounted on a plinth on the wall of any future premises of the bmpt or other similar organisation.Having said that, you really never know where or when these boats will turn up, d-zine has found what is almost certainly a Dark Class (believed extinct too)for sale in Florida! The Ds also travelled far and wide, a couple went to Argentina for example and half a dozen of the LRRCs were used as RAF houseboats in Fanara, I wonder if anyone knows what became of them? 
Roger P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 10:57pm

Hi Christian,

I would love to know more about the documentary you mentioned, such as, how long ago was it produced and how do I obtain a VHS or DVD copy?

The two movies I know of, and have, are 'Attack on the Iron Coast' with Lloyd Bridges which shows a Minesweeper and four fishing boats and the other, more accurate one is 'The Gift Horse' starring Trvor Howard and was made with help from the St Nazaire Society.

Roger Pearson.
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia.

"Roger's Little Ships".
Modelling Allied Light Coastal Forces 1914-1945.
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 8:25am

Hello All,

Just posted re MGB 81, most interesting, now there is a good candidate for a film role, not heard much about her of late or HSL 102, would be nice if the origional idea of a "Battle of Britain Flight" of the sea had come to pass, what a great thing that would be for coastal craft and the personnel.

John 

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 9:24am

Hi John and Roger

The documentary is part of the "History's Raiders" series, I did look into buying a copy but I found that it is available only in the USA (something to do with film rights etc) the vendors (I cannot remember who, I found them using Google) said they could post to a friend or relative in the USA for them to forward to me. I never got round to it though.

Rgds,Christian. 

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 3:26pm

Hi Christian,

Indeed, the news re the Dark is very interesting, no doubt going for quite a sum and heavily modified now. Re the D, well, there's an idea, very stormy and windy here today, not sure what's left now, could easily try and have a look, not far from me, have contact with local marine contractor, may by they were the ones commissioned to break her, don't know, but...1 would need some cash 2 somewhere to put the bits, but latter not impossible, the former....intriguing, better some bits than none, stern of 142? on home page of BMPT. Your ideas re ones abroad, possible I guess, though I usally refer to Phil Simmons work saying the last was a Shoreham, broken a few years ago now, though wether for obvious reasons of time and resources, that only applied to the UK. Will try and pay that visit and revert in due course,

John 

northeastuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 6:49pm
Has anyone a map refrence for the old site of raf fanara? Iv been looking in goolge earth but the suez cannal is a big place.If you look at hartlepool in goolge earth you can easily make out the hdml that is here So spoting a 'D' would be easy.(asuming its in an area covered)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic