BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Target Towing Launches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gary Douglas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Douglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2753
    Posted: 28 August 2019 at 6:17am

Hi Tony $ Christian

I read your posts way back in 2007 after my fathers navel group the Fairmile association (Australia) had given us this news via their monthly
newsletter called "Dits & Dahs". I bookmarked your posts as a reminder to where this vessel lays to rest.
I was glad to read that you had so many enjoyable trips aboard her Tony as my father, James Ernest Douglas Able Seaman S9141 served on her in Fremantle from 1943 to 1946, she was then known as ML 826.He had enlisted like so many as a 17 year old and was the Radar & Asdic operator.
Our dear father passed away on 22/07/2019 aged 92 yrs old and was the last surviving member of this vessel from WW2. He had many fond memories and some not so fond memories of her.
I know it was 12 years ago but I thank you for giving our family a little
history on her.

Regards Gary Douglas
Gary Douglas
baxtercr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baxtercr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 8:13pm
Hi.  I am looking for drawings of the D-Boats as used by the RAF.  2 of the boats were opperated by the SAAF in South Africa.
Our Museum has lost the plans / drawings and as a result I can't get any information.
I was requested by a ex navy member to build a 1/72 scale model of the SAAF P1551 (classification after the Navy took her over).
If anybody can help, especially drawings of the hull, I would be so grateful.
Thanks
Chris Baxter
www.baxmod.co.za
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2007 at 7:35pm

Hello 'skiggsie'

Welcome aboard.

Although ex-RN myself - you will find that there are several RAF marine types who visit and contribute to this site and I am sure that your questions will get answered.

'46-'48 Japan was still very much reeling from the effects of the War of course, but I am sure that MCU's were established there to assist with the occupation and 're-culturing' by the Allies etc.

Can you 'Post' a couple of your pictures up here? - I'm sure that we all would appreciate some fresh shots.

Rgds

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
skiggsie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiggsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2007 at 2:53pm

Having searched for D2762 I have just found this site. My father, Charles Lawton, skippered this boat from Hurnam (?) Sylt between 1958-60. I have photos of the boat and German crew and some memories of sailing on her.

Dad was in the MCU from 39 until 63 and served in Japan, Ceylon, N Africa, Lyme Regis, Pembroke Dock and Holyhead that I can remember. Does anyone have any idea why he would have been in Japan (Miro and Sakai) 46-48? We were there as a family in Iwakuni. 

northeastuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2007 at 10:14pm
Hows things with flywood going D-zine?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 10:17am
Very nice!
d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 8:18am
Hi,

Just received the following image of 2753 in service out in Gibraltar between 72-74. The image is courtesy  of Paul Mason  and the Newhaven Local & Maritime History Museum.

If you look closely at the original photo you can just start to make out the planking.

Advance - Runaway Quickly , Runaway Quickly
AndyS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 7:39pm

Originally they were planked up tight over doped calico. Unfortunately over time the planks tend not to take up again so well so calking of some type will normally be required to fill the gaps and make the boat watertight.

Repeated cycling should be controlled if possible.

dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 10:51am
Some planks on my ST  had dried out to 3 or 4mm last summer with no damage.  They closed up to about 1mm in the winter as the ambient humitity sorted it.  I'd hesitate to paint her if she's too dry as it may stop the timbers swelling. 

Edited by dgray
Don

Only a number, not even a name. How shall posterity hear of thy fame?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 12:44am

yes thinking about it myself I think your probibly right.sorry.

joints at 3.5 mm? I thought these things were planked up tight?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic