BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Target Towing Launches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 11:33am
 Good idea.
masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 12:32pm
Hi Barnacle,

Just to tidy things up and because I like pictures I have attached an Image of HMS KEPPEL who was instrumental in the attempted rescue of 2754 as advised by yourself.

Edited by d-zine
Advance - Runaway Quickly , Runaway Quickly
d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 12:51pm
Hi again,

Another photo from 2 weeks ago taken from the Starboard Bow.

Edited by d-zine
barnacle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2007 at 12:23am
if i remember correctly, the 2 layers of the hull planking had a sandwich of white lead paste and calico fabric between them didnt they?

ahhh The Keppel, thats the beast... thanks for that d-zine

d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2007 at 7:39am
Barnacle,

You can still see the calico when the joints are raked out, it no longer serves as a water impermeable barrier as you can now see through from the inside of the hull i.e pin pricks of light at some points where the planking crosses.
d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 12:26am

Hi NEU,

Thinking about your comment on the shrinkage of the planks, which is why it has taken me so long to reply. You got me worried you silly s'x'd.

If the planks are 150mm wide and the joints are nominally 3-5mm then shrinkage is max 5% or 2.5mm from either side. As I have seen no sign of tearing or elongation of the fixing holes within the planks I am going to assume as it should be that this sort of movement was accomodated for in the original design and detailing of these boats.

If I am wrong then she won't be Flywood she will be lots of bits of wood floating in the overall shape of a boat. Time will tell.

RAFWEBFOOT, what was the RAF line as regards operating these boats in a hot climate to manage shrinkage within the timber, were they kept moist or were they allowed to dry and then refered to as 67ft RTTL's?

Edited by Pioneer
northeastuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 12:44am

yes thinking about it myself I think your probibly right.sorry.

joints at 3.5 mm? I thought these things were planked up tight?

dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 10:51am
Some planks on my ST  had dried out to 3 or 4mm last summer with no damage.  They closed up to about 1mm in the winter as the ambient humitity sorted it.  I'd hesitate to paint her if she's too dry as it may stop the timbers swelling. 

Edited by dgray
Don

Only a number, not even a name. How shall posterity hear of thy fame?
AndyS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 7:39pm

Originally they were planked up tight over doped calico. Unfortunately over time the planks tend not to take up again so well so calking of some type will normally be required to fill the gaps and make the boat watertight.

Repeated cycling should be controlled if possible.

d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 8:18am
Hi,

Just received the following image of 2753 in service out in Gibraltar between 72-74. The image is courtesy  of Paul Mason  and the Newhaven Local & Maritime History Museum.

If you look closely at the original photo you can just start to make out the planking.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic