BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Modelling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB Model, Information needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mac_p300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MTB Model, Information needed
    Posted: 07 February 2005 at 5:01pm
Hi
I have recently been given a model of an MTB which belonged to a friend's late father. It has been stored for at least 10 years and I would very much like to restore it to its former glory. The problem is, I don't know exactly what it is. From this and other websites the nearest I can come is a "Brave" class Fast Patrol Boat which indeed looks very similar to my model.(see http://www.btinternet.com/~warship/Postwar/Patrol/brave.htm ) I have also discovered one picture at this location http://www.stimsonyachts.com/default.asp?m=di&id=30916 which is the closest I can get although the hull itself looks slightly different (its more like the one in the "Brave" class picture) the superstucture is spot on. In fact there is a small brass plaque attached to my boat stand that says "MTB Ferocity". I have searched all over the Internet and cannot find any other reference to "Ferocity Class" MTB's. Does anybody have any further information that would be useful to me? Is my boat actually a model of a WW2 MTB on which the post war "Brave" class was based or is the information with that picture simply incorrect? It would be nice to know the history of it.
Best Regards
Malcolm Irving
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2005 at 4:46pm

Hello Malcolm,

I've seen both pictures that you suggest may be the original for the model. Although the Stimpson Yacht picture seems to show an early type of hull I would not agree that the type is a close exWW2 developement, the enclosed bridge is certainly mid '50s or later. It is probably as you suggest, a Brave or Scimitar type export model. If your model has a pennant number it may be easier to identify it from that as many boats, not really qualifying to be named, had 'unofficial' names added by their crews, while type and pennant numbers are quoted in Jane's Fighting Ships. I have perused my copies for Ferocity but have drawn a blank, sorry. Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2005 at 7:47pm

Hello again Malcolm.

I have traced your model as being to a Vosper design. I have seen a picture of 'AIOLOS' (ex-PFIEL P6193) which states it to be-" an ex German Navy craft that was transfered to the Royal Hellenic Navy in April 1967. Launched on 26 October 1961, commissioned into the German Navy June 1962 and based upon the Vosper prototype Ferocity"-

It goes on to state that the main machinery was 2 Bristol Siddeley Proteus gas turbines. From that it can be assumed that 'Ferocity' was a private venture by Vosper who successfully used it as a sales demo craft- I would doubt that the RN ever commissioned her

Regards

mac_p300 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mac_p300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2005 at 1:33pm

Thanks ver much for that info. The model I have has the number "175" stencilled onto the hull Is this what you mean by the pennant number?

Malcolm

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2005 at 3:22pm

Hi Malcolm.

Yes that would be the pennant number but as it is not prefixed by the letter 'P' it possibly show's that it is not a model of a post WW2 RN vessel. As I suggested, the prototype could have been a sales 'demo' craft used by Messrs Vosper, but that is not to say that the craft was not eventually sold to a foriegn navy. Although several Navy's prefixed their small craft with the letter 'P', not all did. 

chips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2005 at 3:19pm

The MTB Ferocity you refer to.

I also have a 53 inch plywood model and have researched her at north shields library. I discovered she was on secret patrol covering blyth submarine bay at the end of WW2. she was either decomissioned or sold on in 1958. She was a Vosper Thorneycroft built vessel and served out her days as a fishery protection vessel. I have ammassed quite a bit of info on ferocity and have also own several MTB true story books.

For a picture when she was serving as a fishery protection vessel go to

http://www.navyphotos.co.uk/mtb%20ferocity1b.jpg

If you want to swap any info please do not hesitate to reply

R Cave
Explosion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Explosion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2005 at 10:02am

Ferocity was a Vosper private venture boat (yard no.2543) built after the Brave Class (Yard nos.2526 and 2527) but before the two boats built for Germany (2544-Pfeil and 2545-Strahl). I believe she was actually completed before Brave Swordsman but after Brave Borderer. Ferocity was 88ft long  and Pfeil 92ft, whilst the two Braves and Strahl were 96ft. The two German boats were transferred to Greece, becoming Aolos and Astropi, respectively.

Explosion

Explosion
Explosion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Explosion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2005 at 6:57pm

Malcolm

I have scanned a brochure that Vospers produced on Ferocity. If you (or indeed anybody else interested) contact me at brownatfareham@surefish.co.uk, I wll e-mail it to you (pdf format in two parts).

Regards

Explosion
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic