BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB 506

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 37>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2007 at 7:59am

Hi All,

Well, what a lot going on! congrats to Clive on 32, Norfolk eh, "joining" 102 good company. Re 506, chatting with a friend who dose know about these things, he said he would be concerned that having the gear boxes out could strain the hull,  ie such lumps not being there. Not much choice as done by the owners, but this would need as with all else checking out. Early days and first things first, but is the Old War Boat Co thinking of other projects perhaps,  another force for trying to save more of our coastal craft before its all to late. As ever, all the best,

Regards

John    

Garethep View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garethep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2007 at 10:50am
Hi all, congratulations on making something happen! Ill draw dads attention to this thread and he should be able to let you know what gearboxes Are fitted to Hyperion Which may help for the perkins (centre shaft i assume). I also believe that the ford engines were used in many fairey Power boats and he knows a man who knows those boats. I think it unlikely that the removal of the boxes will have caused any further hull damage, even if the originals were structural the replacements almost certainly not. They would also be Very small and ligh in comparison to the originals. I hope the following doesnt lead anyone to conclude im an expert im these things but ill throw im my opinion anyway. Hyperion handles very badly on the centre shaft only and i see no reason why 506 would be any better. For this reason as well as lack of power i would not advise a delivery on one shaft. Even on three engines you wont get 'on the step' even if the hull could take it . My gut feeling is you would be best using the outer shafts only and keeping the centre engine to run an alternator and a bilge Pump. You should get 8-10 knots which is a comfortable delivery speed and minimise hull stress. just a couple of thoughts, best of luck.   Gareth
BMPT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2007 at 10:54am

Good morning Sentley,

Well done with regard to 506.

I would be cautiuous bringing her back by sea, a long way for an old lady, but all the best anyway. Visited her 2 years ago, ..

Could you give a brief synopsis of the situation and your needs, and I will put in the BMPT News section, with direct link to the 506 site.

Will the company have a web site...?

If so give me the link, it may get some more interested partries looking at you..

Kind regards

Richard Hellyer

BMPT 023 8089 0900.

clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2007 at 7:36pm

Hi,

I had a look today and I have 2x 1:1 borgwarner 'boxes mounted on some hl 6534's which I would be willing to split and donate to the cause if they are the correct boxes, I also have about five other borgwarners with reductions which would need to be checked, one of which I know is 2:1. I have some 'tested' boxes too, but as with all the reduction boxes would only be willing to 'lend' them for the trip as they are effectively 'essential spares' for me.

When the call is made to establish the prop sizes may I suggest that you ask wether the 'drive plates' are still in place.

I assume that you have someone to fit them the other end? I recon it would be cheaper to pay someone that end than fly someone out with tools.

Please keep us posted as to wether someone can be found to do this job as  although in no way do I have time to do this job with all other things I have to do in the next few months, I have the tools and have done this job a few times before and appreciate that 506 may have less time.

Close Window
masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
S R Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2007 at 8:40pm

Evening All,

Please forgive me if I don't reply straight away to individule posts of help etc. Hope you understand that having stood back so as not to pre empt our friends from Canada we have had to move very quickly on some real basics and still have not sorted everything but :-

1. I am logging all offers of help etc and will get in touch with everyone in due course.

2. In general terms a number of us will be going to Malta over the next few weeks and months to look at the boat and work on her

3. As soon as there is anything to report of general interest it will be posted, hopefully with photo

4. We really do appreciate your good wishes which have done much to prove that in an insane world we are amongst the few sane people on this planet!!

SRW
"Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy" WSC.

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2007 at 9:12pm

My friend Eric in Malta has come up with the following useful contacts for you;

The Captain Morgan Cruises Offices and Boats are all found a stone's throw away from Manoel Island Yacht Yard, where I believe the boat may be stored for some time. (See  http://www.yachtyard-malta.com/)

==================================================

Regarding a shipwright or marine surveyor, I have checked on the net and found two that may be of help.

There is O.F. Gollcher & Sons Ltd., of Valletta, Malta (see http://www.gollcher.com/main.htm) are a very old family in this business and I believe, highly reputable.  Their contact details are the following.

O.F. Gollcher & Sons Ltd., (Head Office).
P.O. Box 268,
19 Zachary Street,
Valletta - VLT 10,
Malta G.C.

Tel:    (+356) 2569 1500
Fax:   (+356) 2123 4195

Regards,

Christian.

jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2007 at 6:47am

Just putting a pic up for the benefit of anyone who's followed threads i've put on a couple of other forums. This is her working for southern television.

Amazing what you find, just read an article about 3 abandoned type xxi uboats. Project anyone?

Cheers for imfo Christian.

Edited by jimmy p
A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws money

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2007 at 11:49am

Hi Clive and Christian.

Clive, have you any idea of the weight of the boxes please. We would like to take up your offer. Some of the guys are going out there shortly to make an assesment etc and we will contact you againg when we have more information. Very many thanks.

Christian, Thanks for the info which will undoubtly be very usefull. i will get the guyds to make contact once they are there.

SRW
"Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy" WSC.

dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2007 at 12:28pm
Hi Jimmy,
Which article was this in?  Any more details?
Don

Only a number, not even a name. How shall posterity hear of thy fame?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2007 at 12:39pm

jimmy,

Re U boats. Why would anyone want to restore them just for us to blow them up (again)

SRW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 37>
  Share Topic