BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB 506

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 37>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2007 at 12:53am
Jimmy, 

I agree 100%.  Problem isn't just money and moorings. It needs people to be involved at every level.  Every project needs helpers, with or without money.  Full marks to to Sentley for bankrolling MTB506.   That takes a lot of guts. Thanks to Billy and Jimmy too for their time and comittment to the project.

Personally I'm sick about Lewina as she was so saveable.

Perhaps there may be people on the forum who want to be actively involved with real restorations  but don't know how?

Every boat needs saving, each is important. Jimmy is right.  The rate of attrition is to high and soon there will be just a handful.

Just ask yourself, what have you done recently to save a boat...

Come on guys, don't just read about it.... get actively involved.

Edited by dgray
Don

Only a number, not even a name. How shall posterity hear of thy fame?
northeastuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2007 at 10:13am

I have to admit that every time I clime aboard the 506 I am amazed by her construction. God she is strong. Even after 60 odd years she has the feel of a strong boat. Those frames that have not been hacked about have the ring of new wood. yes i admit she has problems.(don't we all).But those are due to neglect e.g. frames cut out and then left with a leaky hull due to keel movement and old worn hull planking. But the frames that have stayed out of the water and even some that have been awash for years sound true when hit with a hammer. Personly I believe that if it was possible to turn the hull upside down and replace the center section eg keel ,and re-plank,then she would be as strong as the day she was built. I would have no hesitation in powering her up with high power engines and going for a spin. Done properly I would put/bet my life on the strength in this old lady. Bugger I think I'm falling in love with a boat!

I was sitting on the harbor wall last night at about 1 am. just looking at her and thinking about what I need to do today and I got attacked by about 6 cockroaches at the same time! So don't think for a minute its all fun out here!!!

pushback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pushback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2007 at 4:28pm

just got back from the land down under, royal mail have misplaced

the plans i was hopeing to get to you, they might be in belfast should know by monday if not they go back to the national maritime museum

and they send them back to me. if i get them on monday will catch the first plane over, dont tell her in doors have not seen her in five weeks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 12:12pm
let us know the score as soon as you have info..cheers.all help apreciated m8.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 12:36pm
anyone want to invest in sending landrover parts over to malta!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 12:41pm

the mata way of life is so much slower than even mine..no crane today and nothing i can do..well except maby take a saw to that dam cabin.

Oh yea and thjere was a cockroch on my flat window ledge watching me eat dinner.wonder if they can be trained.

dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 12:57pm
Hi Billy,
Looking forward to seeing the photos of the boats there.
Why Landrover parts?
Cheers
Don

Only a number, not even a name. How shall posterity hear of thy fame?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 5:27pm

aparently lots of peole importy cars from teh uk..costs about 450..the rules are getting harder for the mots here..they like the landrovers but prices are faling beacuse they cant get parts to pass tests..if they were avilable i recon the price or l/r would go back up!

yopu know how cheep l/r parts are in uk??drop ship opertunity i think

S R Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 5:36pm

Happy to invest in selling landrover/rangerover parts in Malta. Got an endless supply of broken ones taking them off ours.  Seriously though if there is some sort of deal going let me know on email.

Oh and for the record I agree with Don the time is now, put up or shut up. Read the obits and try to imagine how you would justfy to those guys that you just let the boats be broken.

SRW
"Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy" WSC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 5:46pm
id love to have a garage here..but its not worth the divorce!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 37>
  Share Topic