BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Where Are Those Boats Now
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Warship Trust, Birkenhead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Warship Trust, Birkenhead
    Posted: 19 February 2007 at 7:31pm

Thought it best to start a new thread about the warship trust rather than keep hijacking 506’s thread!

Birkenhead warship trust

They have the following vessels. If anyone knows of any more please add them to the list.

If anyone has any info as to the fate of these vessels then please add that as well.

HMS Plymouth a frigate built in 1959

Plymouth was one of the first Royal navy ships to arrive in the south Atlantic following the Argentine invasion of the Falkland Islands and South Georgia. Plymouth alongside HMS Brilliant and HMS Endurance took part in the recapturing of South Georgia on April 28 . Plymouth landed Royal marines from her Westland helicopters and bombarded Argentine troop positions on the island. Later her Wasp helicopter took part in an attack on the ARA Santa fe, which was badly damaged and later captured by Royal Marines

The HMS Onyx was an Oberon class submarine of the Royal Navy launched on August 1966.

HMS Onyx was the only non-nuclear submarine of the Royal Navy to take part in the Falklands War. The smaller displacement of Onyx compared to the nuclear submarines made her ideal for landing SAS and SBS troops close to the islands in shallow waters

In May 2006 HMS Onyx was sold to the Barrow-in-Furness businessman Joe Mullen, for a reported £100,000 as a 'gift to the people of Barrow'. It is set to form the centrepiece of a new heritage museum in Cumbria, and will leave Birkenhead to arrive in its new home in mid June

HMS Bronington (M1115)

HMS Bronington (M1115) is a Ton-class minesweeper of the Royal Navy, launched on 1953-03-19, the former command of Charles, Prince of Wales. This mahogany-hulled minesweeper is one of the last of the "wooden walls" (wooden-hulled naval vessels). It was berthed in the historic Manchester Ship Canal at Trafford Park, Greater Manchester, England for some time but is now located in the Birkenhead Docks, near Liverpool, where she is moored alongside ships of the Warship Preservation Trust. The ship was purchased in January 1989 by the Bronington Trust, a registered charity (patron Prince Charles).

LCT 7074, the last surviving landing craft tank that took part in D-Day.

Unterseeboot 534 was a Type IXC/40 U-boat of the Kriegsmarine and was built in 1942 in Hamburg-Finkenwerder by Deutsche Werft AG. She was sunk on 5 May 1945 by depth charges launched from a British Liberator aircraft. She sank in the waters of Kattegat, off the North-West Danish coast. She was raised by a Danish company in 1993. In 1996 she was transported to Birkenhead, UK and forms part of the Warship Preservation Trust's collection in the Birkenhead docks.

rozm2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rozm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 8:04pm

Do they also own HDML 1422 currently called TSR according to the medusa website, google earth suggests it is only about 200 yards away?

P.S post coppied from 506 thread but now deleted to declog the 506 thread

S R Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 9:01pm
Does anyone know who the liquidators are? Who is responsiable for the boats at the moment?
SRW
"Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy" WSC.

northeastuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 9:16pm

From what I remember reading about the trust they did not go bankrupt. The owners of the dock that they rented have decided to develop it for housing and so gave them notice to quit. I believe they are still trying to find homes for their ships.

The tank landing craft is the one I worry about. Not only does she have a significant history she is the LAST of her type. Once gone her type will be lost forever.

She’s not exactly pretty either. So that limits her chance of survival.

I am emailing them to ask about the HDML I’l let you guys know the answer.The list on the medus website just says she is at Birkenhead.

rozm2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rozm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 9:24am
Originally posted by northeastuser northeastuser wrote:

I am emailing them to ask about the HDML I’l let you guys know the answer.The list on the medus website just says she is at Birkenhead.

If you look at the photos on the Medusa wesbite, the large warehouse just behind the main ships they've got is in the background behind TSR, go accross to google earth (sorry I would put a pic up but don't know how to), go to the location below and about 20 yards south I believe is TSR?

53°24'18.79"N   3° 1'49.59"W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2007 at 12:38pm

Hi NE User.

Any luck with the Birkenhead Trust. It would be such a shame if the boats were scraped or allowed to rot just for want of a home. There must be somewhere they can go. Does anyone know the history of TSR or what state she is in?

SRW
"Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy" WSC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2007 at 1:02pm

No m8 , haven’t been able to find the email addy, I believe suspect that i was wrong with regards to who now has responsibility for the vessels. The following is a quote from the nhsc web site.

The Mersey Docks & Harbour Company have announced that the submarine Onyx, one of the vessels which were owned by the Warship Trust in Birkenhead, will be going to Barrow in Furness as the focal point for the Submarine Heritage Centre there.”

I am going to try and give the dock company a ring shortly. I have around of calls to make this afternoon and I normally sit down and do them all together!

Perhaps a email to the medusa trust will turn up her owners? Or at least who they believe owns her. Who here has the best relationship with the medusa trust?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2007 at 1:29pm

Ok I have spoken to the dock company. As far as the gentleman who I spoke to knows the receivers have been called in and the Warship Trust no longer exists.

The HMS Plymouth and the HMS Bronington are still there. The U-boat will be moved further down the quay.

I asked who owned the vessels no and he replied that he thought the they ( the Dock company ) did now. However this is just his opinion and perhaps he is not aware of any legal circumstances.( we were just having a ’casual’ chat) I imagine if the receivers have been called in then they have some say in the ownership. Though I suppose they may have just passed the vessels to the dock company to avoid further bills.

He did not know if the HDML was owned by the trust. So further enquires are needed .

I suspect the Trust may have been offering free berths to interesting vessels that compliment their collection, hence the HDML in the vicinity.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2007 at 1:32pm
Thanks fore info NEU. Will email Medusa. Am going to their Agm next month anyway. If I get any info will let you know.
SRW

rozm2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rozm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2007 at 3:52pm

If you look at the pics of the HDML, she isn't very original and unless you had a prior interest wouldn't mean anything, I was tempted to think that it was annother exhibit awaiting sorting out for display?

http://www.trinitystar.co.uk/medusa/page29.html

that's a link for TSR and for good measure a picture too!

Perhaps other peoplke may like to give thier opinion on this but on the other photo (below) her back end seems a long way down in the water?

Edited by rozm2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic