BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Patrol Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Miami 63’ Crash Boat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyByWire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miami 63’ Crash Boat
    Posted: 19 February 2007 at 8:20pm

Hi,

are there any of these boats left?

I have found that many of them were sold/given to Russia at the end of the war - they were lovely looking boats, it would be a pity if there were none left...

Paul

jonathan napier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonathan napier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 3:51pm
I was in Seal Beach, Los Angeles last year and had a look round a 'crash tender' as the owner referred to it. I don't know if this is the same thing but it was very well rebuilt. Refitted with 500hp GM 2 stroke diesels, it did about 18 knots flat out. I'll see if I can dig out anything
cheers
mickrik View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 6:31pm
i am building a model of  a miami 63 crash boat i will post pictures when finished
semi scale of  one in a s r l in calcutta w w 2
happy to meet you all
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 10:46am
Hi there,

I did see some time ago one of these on a web-site via this forum I think, that they have got one in preservation in the US.

Johnk
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 10:55am
Hi Again,

Yes, here it is www.p-520crashboat.com, dose not seem to have been updated since 2007 but clearly the vessel was restored.

Johnk
jonathan napier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonathan napier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 6:20am
That's the one. I had a long chat with Jerry Tretter. He showed me round the whole boat which is in lovely condition. They had guns supplied by the Hollywood film industry which 'spat fire' using propane gas cylinders stowed underneath. They're slightly frustrated at the low top speed but a re-engine would be very expensive.
All the best
Jonathan
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 8:18am
Hi Jonathan,

Great that you saw over it, interesting re the pyrotechnics,

Johnk
crashboater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crashboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 5:01pm
Hello all,

Just happened to come across this site and thought you may be interested to know that I'm restoring the ex-USAAF P-619 63 footer to original military spec. This includes the two Mk 6 depth charges, five 50 cal (all non-operational) and Hall-Scott V-12 gas motors.

The boat is located near Vancouver, BC and I brought the boat out of the northern California area where it served largely as a Sea Scout boat after its military service. The boat was built in Sept/Oct 1943 in Miami under a USN contract but was transferred to the AAF for the duration of the War and then returned to the Navy in late '45.

By all indications, it is the last of its class remaining in the world to be in original spec. The boat is currently operational and is powered by wartime Gray Marine diesels but we have the new (old) V12s being prepared for installation. Hoping for about 45 knots as there will be some upgrading of the engines.

Unfortunately I don't have a website for the boat at this (too busy working on it) but will do in the fullness of time. Someone put a bunch of pics of the boat on Flicker. They show how rough things were at the onset. There has been noticeable since the last of these pic were taken too. 

www.flickr.com/photos/mad_mariner/4636459468/

Its been an incredible amount of work (especially for a private citizen like myself and a couple of volunteers)but its getting there!

I can certainly forward a file of pics by email if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Edited by Pioneer - 02 January 2011 at 11:34pm
crashboater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crashboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 5:06pm
PS to all;

The Tretter's P-520 is an 85 foot version built by Wilmington's yard in CA. While only 22 feet longer, she weighs over 25 tons more. They've done a beautiful job on her. Great guys too.

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 11:55am
Hi there,

Many thanks for the post, great to hear you are restoring another coastal forces craft, work goes on, I think still, on the Q105 at Sarnia, albeit they are having funding issues, all the best,

Regards

JohnK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic