BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB 653

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 10:39am

Well done Christian.

I knew someone would have the answer. If the remains of 653 or 740 come to light I have no doubt John k will be first in the que!!!

SRW
"Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy" WSC.

northeastuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 11:04am

My wife and I have been talking about this for a while. we want to take a holiday on the broads this year. Can anyone recommend a family boat I can hire out. Not a new expensive one lol.

clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 11:24am

Hi Northeastuser,

I recon you better pm me re your holiday requirements!!

As for my Dad remembering everything, he can remember two houseboats but not their names!

masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 11:50am

I now have the names of the Oulton Broad houseboats (from Norfolk-broads-forum)

'Foynes' (MTB)

'Blue lagoon' (MGB) at Pye marine

'young Jim' at Newsons

All of the above long since gone.

masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
AdnamsGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdnamsGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 12:17pm

Hi

There was also Gray Malkin at Brundall - picture below from 1970 Brochure.

There still seems to be a lot of confusion over this. Someone is still convinced that the boat in the first (and third) pictures which I posted on here is in fact "Morning Flight".  Christian - many thanks for the photos - so we may indeed be looking at two different boats which is very interesting.

This has all got me very intrigued and I would really like to discover more about the history of all of the ex Admiralty boats which ended up on the Broads as there does seem to be very little properly recorded information about them. I have a scanned copy of  the Hoseasons brochure page for 1956 which has pictures of "Foynes" and "Blue Lagoon" but I don't think it is of good enough quality to be able to post the pictures on here ...... leave it with me and I shall try!

Thank you all once again

Carol

S R Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 12:30pm

That looks ever so much like a dog boat to me. Christian,JohnK, what do you think.

If that photo is from a 1970 brochure is there still any evidence of her existance now and if so where is she and in what condition?

Also I thought it was established that Mornig Flight was an MGB,(whaleback) and was in fact MGB56 or have I got that wrong.

Edited by S R Wilson
SRW
"Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy" WSC.

northeastuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 1:01pm
jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 1:22pm

Thats what i thought about MGB56.

Looks like a whaleback on these (at least whats left of one)

Sorry about pics, best i've got

Edited by jimmy p
A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws money
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 2:17pm

My take on Grey Malkin is that she was a 69ft Higgins MGB.

See

http://www.bmpt.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90&PN=2

I'll see if I can find out more.

Edited by Christian
S R Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 3:39pm

Have to admit the chine lines on the photo of the Higgins boat and Gray Malkin are very similar and now knowing Gray Malkin is much shorter than a dog boat and also now I look the name is spelt in an American way, which may be coincidental, I am inclined to go with Christian's assesment.

Just proves your never to old to learn. 

SRW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic