BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB 653

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2008 at 2:55pm
It sounds like an early Torpedo Recovery Vessel, whatever it turns out to be it is a previous unknown as far as I am aware and a good find if it is pre W.W,2. As I indicated earlier the "unknowns" are still popping up, hope for a "D" yet. Reading Lambert's book a lot of the "D's" are down as being scrapped does any know which Companies scrapped which, or  does the word scrapped just mean disposed off as two of the vessel's listed to my knowledge were stripped of useful parts and "Vikinged"
clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2009 at 8:19pm
Hi,
If I had read the first posts a bit better then I would have seen that this boat was in Norwich after being in Horning so little chance of coming back to salhouse.

I did find this posted on another broads related forum today....

Hi all
The old wreck was named Water Witch. There were two wrecks along that side of Salhouse. Water Witch being nearest to the stern on moorings. The second has always been fully submerged and lies along the same bank but three quaters of the way towards the eastern ( Horning ) side exit. According to the old balliff who collected mooring fees in the fifties and sixties from his old green boat complete with even older seagull out board they were owned by the Norwich sea scouts. At the outbreak of war they were told to move them or sink them in case of invasion. as they couldnt move them enywhere they sunk them. Water Witch bottomed out before fully submerging . The other sunk completely. As a kid I used to fish from WW roof but I dont think Id risk it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers Sirdar
masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
delbuoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delbuoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 6:36pm
hi carol,i joind last because of 653 and it looks like iam going to cause a stire already.ifound the photo of her last night,in norwich,71 or 72.cant find it tonight.point is i bought her in 71 and was living on her when that photo was taken.if you would like to know more let me know.delbuoy
delbuoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delbuoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 6:51pm
hi i bought 653 in 71 and was living on her when photo was taken in norwich.delbuoy.
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 8:41am
Hello Delbuoy,

Welcome aboard, great to hear and would be nice to see if you can pic of 653 when you had her, great interest in D's as you might see,

Johnk
AdnamsGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdnamsGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2009 at 12:39pm
Hi Delbouy

I hope that you don't mind, but I noticed that you had posted this picture of 653 when you had her on another forum. I would love to hear what memories you do have of her - will send you a PM!

Carol

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 9:06pm
Yes, fantastic, the size of these vessels, very like the E-boat at Southdown, if only we had an example...

Johnk
clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2012 at 8:54pm
Have a look at this one 9 mins 20 secs, not much but better than a photo!

masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
delbuoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delbuoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2012 at 9:22pm
hi all i know will be reveald who are you.
del.

andysadd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andysadd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 3:59pm
Hello Everyone first time poster

I believe I may have tracked down the Thorpe green MTB.

When I was a kid my dad was building a boat at Pat Moss marine in Thorpe. I would always be down the boatyard with him but I would often wander around and check out the MTB on the green, it always fascinated me.

not long after the MTB was moved from the green I spotted it moored further down the river while i was on the train to Gt Yarmouth. it was half sunk and the superstructure was being removed.

I kind of forgot about the old gal until having a browse on google earth and I spotted a large half submerged vessel in the same place as i saw the MTB a good few years before.

A month ago I was in the Town house pub in |Thorpe sitting in the gardens and straight across the water was this hull as spotted on google images. its rotting and covered in algae and moss and the ducks make good use of it as a toilet, I couldn't resist getting in to my canoe a few days later and taking a closer look, I was able to get right up to it and after a quick scrape of the hull the familiar Grey paint was present, Im sure this is the MTB. I took a pic but in sadly dropped my camera in to the water so its now beside the wreck :(

IM finding it hard to get a screen image on here due to its size but go to google images look at thorpe green, look to the west down the river and before the rail bridge you will see a basin cut in to the island, here you will see the curved lines of the mtb. dead opposite the town house pub
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic