Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB 653

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2007 at 6:41pm

Just to add to what has been ‘Posted’ on MTB 653.

Built by Alex Robertson and Sons at Sandbank Argylshire - she was completed in March 1943 – Commissioned into the 30th Flotilla – (soon to be renumbered 54th Flotilla) the Senior Officer of which was Lt Cdr R. A. Tamber. Royal Norwegian Navy. Her first Commanding Officer was Lt Matland (R Nor. N) then, at the end of January 1944, her First Lieutenant (Lt Marthinsen (R Nor. N) took over the Command of 653.

Just one of her many exploits:

In February 1944, whilst on an Operation she grounded on a Shoal while creeping up to attack enemy shipping just off Bergen. Stuck hard and fast, even after trying to reverse off with Full power, when quite by chance, an enemy Coaster crossed the sights of her Torpedo armament. Lt Marthinsen fired both Torpedo Tubes and scored two Hits on SS Ditmar Koel . This action ‘lightened’ her For’ard and she was able to reverse off the Shoal. SS Ditmar Koel was given the coup de grace by MTB 717.

653 was seriously damaged by the grounding and while she limped away there was frantic bailing by the Crew until eventually all Engines were disabled by flooding. She was then taken under Tow by 717 eventually arriving back at her Base, then at Lerwick.

653 was put up for ‘Disposal’ in 1945 and Sold Off in 1949.

Sources: Allied Coastal Forces of WW2 Volume 1. John Lambert and Al Ross

Dog Boats at War L.C.Reynolds. OBE.DSC.

ADM199/536/7

199/997

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
AdnamsGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdnamsGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2007 at 6:54pm

Hi

Pioneer - thank you for the additional info on 653. If she was sold off in 1949 then I think it's safe to assume that she probably went straight to the Norfolk Broads.

Regarding the second boat, pictured at Norwich in 1951. I have spoken to the chairman of the MTB 102 Trust who has provided some very interesting information. Apparently the sea cadets at Norwich had two fairmile D's, though not at the same time. Those vessels were numbered 724 and 740, so I think Christians identification of it possibly being MTB 740 is indeed correct. Sadly, it seems that one of those D's was towed off to Breydon Marine for scrapping on instructions from the Admiralty, although I'm not sure when.

A member of the Norfolk Broads forum also kindly posted a picture of the other known converted ex Admiralty boat which was used on the Broads - Young Jim. It's only a very small image, so appologies for that, but I will post it below anyway.

Many thanks - Carol

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2007 at 7:12pm

Hello Carol

According to JL&AR - 724 went to the Sea Cadet's at Norwich in December1946 - sold off in 1954, While 740 also went to the Sea Cadets Norwich in 1946 - but the book does not say what eventually happened to 740. Where did the info come from that they 'were not at the same time' used by this very active (at the time) Sea Cadet Corps?

Regards

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
AdnamsGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdnamsGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2007 at 11:34pm

Hi

Sorry Pioneer, I probably should have said that I "believed" them not to have been used at the same time. Thanks for the information on the dates when they were actually used by the Sea Cadets. That is what is so great about finding this forum for help with this side of Broadland's history. I have found before that a pool of knowledge on a subject will eventually sort out as much of the definative history as is possible. Many thanks for all the help so far and what ever information you can find will be gratefully recieved!

Carol

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2007 at 8:43am

Hi all,

Very interesting re the D' and the Sea Cadets, ex SCC myself, knew that many were used by units as HQs according to John Lambert's anatomy of the D book, lists fates etc one was at Sittingbourne unit. Believe Norwich cadets have an ex Swedish boat now, took a while to get there as a bridge over the river had to be re-commssioned I believe.

John 

clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 11:13am
Hi All,
I  think I found the remains of MTB 653 a couple of months ago, if it is what I think it is.
I could not get a very good picture but will try again from the water or borrow a decent camera.
there is very little of her (presuming it is) but my reason for the assumption is the shape and length of her stem, it is dead straight and quite long. there is no deck, the aft disappears into some trees and 'pointing' to the right there is no starboard side in her, except for a couple of feet, there is probably 20-30 feet of the forward port withonly the interior visable, you can see numerous timbers/ frames which seem quite close together and the bow is quite sharp.
I am sorry for not having a photo to discuss but she is in the S/E corner of Salhouse broad in Norfolk, you cannot see her from google earth but is just to the top right of the 'boat shaped' clump of trees.
masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
northeastuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 2:25pm
That will make the remains of 3 'dog' boats. looking better every day.
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 5:44pm
Hi there,

Indeed, now if we get enought bits......!

Johnk
Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 3:50pm

Is this the shape in question?

would be great if there was some more Dog boat parts about. Wink

Jim.

clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 7:31pm
Hi Jim,
Yes, that is the shape,  but the boat is just above it to the right in the bank. you can see it from the boardwalk (on the left of the picture) I should get hold of a decent camera with a zoom or take my launch up there but that would take me 3hrs and I'm not taxed!

I will try and make an effort!
masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic