BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Where Are Those Boats Now
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what happened to Minxy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burgundyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what happened to Minxy?
    Posted: 16 May 2007 at 3:57am

in the late 70's or early 80's there was a boat on the hamble called Minxy, she used to be moored at Port Hamble on the outside of one of the pontoons, was painted white, had quite a big superstructure the aft part of which was a lounge.

I remember her being well kept and at the time one of the biggest boats on the river.

I'm quite sure was some kind of MTB/HSL/MGB etc.

Anyone know what happened to her?

Napier Lion engine wanted.
tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2007 at 9:38am
The lovely "Minxy" which was moored in the same place when I saw her all those years ago is now called "Altori" and is moored at the top right hand corner of the harbour near the power station at Mahon, Menorca. She was built by British Powerboats as a "Battlefield Class" at Poole as a target tower for the Army, her Army name was "Langemark", she has been altered and the last time I saw her at Mahon her Navigation Bridge had been boxed in and she "Sported" two very large Army surplus searchlights on each side of the wheelhouse. At the moment I am unable to send you photo's on this site but if you send me your e-mail address on the private messenger I will let you have a copy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 2:46pm

Burgandyben did you get those photo's I sent you on Minxy?

I managed to upload this one to the forum;

Edited by tramontana
burgundyben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burgundyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2007 at 3:13am

Hi, sorry for the late resonse, am in Malaysia and comms was a bit patchy for a few days, back in Blighty end of this week, hopefully will be able to take my boat out (Huntsman 28) over the long weekend.

Thanks, nice to know Minxy still alive, it was always quite a thing for me as a kid when she went in or out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2007 at 11:10am
Burgandyben, are you going to enter the Huntsman in the Round Britian? It looks like it is going to be a great event to take part in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burgundyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2007 at 11:43am

Originally posted by tramontana tramontana wrote:

Burgandyben, are you going to enter the Huntsman in the Round Britian? It looks like it is going to be a great event to take part in.

I doubt it very much, mine is one of the old race boats, 333, she's had a hard enough life as it is, plus I dont think she's quick enough to qualify, about 30 knots all out, still running the old 6.354s.  I bought the Sea Arrow from Phil Clapburn after it left Marchwood, having not found a Napier Lion (not that I could afford in any case) I have got 350 hp lined up......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2007 at 1:50pm
333 well done a lovely classic Fairy and still as she was engineering wise, I have never seen a Napier lion engine for years a local garage owner had one which he was going to put in a speedboat but that was sold many years ago you will be lucky to find a working one now, try a Volkswagen W12 out of a write off, I understand that there is going to be a classic section in the race so 30knot's would be ok, when I look back at some of the old racer's like Jersey Cow I often wonder as to whether they are in a barn somewhere.
clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2007 at 8:38pm

Yes indeed,

I thought long and hard about getting 'Spica' when she was for sale last year (or year before) she would have been great fun, what happened to her?

masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burgundyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 7:50am
Originally posted by clive clive wrote:

Yes indeed,

I thought long and hard about getting 'Spica' when she was for sale last year (or year before) she would have been great fun, what happened to her?

Spica found a new owner, se's currently still on the Hamble, ashore a few weeks ago when  I saw here.

Plenty of other Fairey's about in need of a good home, a Huntsman 28 is a lot easier (cheaper) to deal with than a MTB!!

clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 11:09am

Bit small but this is why I liked Spica!

Found a bigger one!

Edited by clive
masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic