BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Where Are Those Boats Now
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what happened to Minxy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksaab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 3:06pm

Hi All

Just for interest a Huntsman 28 is up on Apollo Duck, I think its rather cheap considering her alleged provenance!!!

http://houseboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=60788

M

Only yield when you must, never "give up the ship," but fight on to the last "with a stiff upper lip!"
tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 4:09pm
There is a Shakesperian Lady Class boat in Hartlepool Marina called Luctor-et- Emerigo has anybody any idea of what the name is/ or means sounds French/Belgian, as she was an Army boat is it a Regiment motto, a place of Battle etc. Thank You.
northeastuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 4:19pm

I found the following on the web.

The Latin motto of the province of Zeeland, "Luctor-et-Emergo" translates to "I struggle and emerge"

Slightly difrent spelling, but whats an 'I' betwen friends!!

tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 1:20pm

Thank's, sounds like a Regimental motto to me now

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 3:22pm

To expand on the above statement

Motto of the Dutch province of Zeeland to denote its battle against the sea.

Rather fitting for an Army vessel!

BoatBird View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoatBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 6:52pm
S'funny, from Latin it translates as "I shine and arise".....kind of!

Lucitor et emergo does anyway!
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 8:15pm
d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 10:30pm
Hi Christian,

Is this any relation to the following boat advertised on the boats for sale page of this site- Eala Bhan - 45ft “Shakespearian” Class General Service Launch.

The boat in Hartlepool is listed as 46'5" but in most respects it looks similar. I have very little knowledge with regard to army boats so maybe a master class from somebody please.

Luctor-et- Emerigo

Eala Bahn

Tramontana just read your post in detail and realise both boats are Shakespearian Class but now that I have typed this I am going to post it anyway.

How about more detailed information from somebody?
Advance - Runaway Quickly , Runaway Quickly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 10:50pm

Well BoatBird I know nothing about Latin, or what ever it is I just copied and pasted from the web.

So don’t blame me!!

I'm to thick to know Latin so I bow to your obvious expertise. (no im not flirting. This time lol)

(Perhaps the discrepancy is the translation from Latin into Dutch then from Dutch to English)

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 9:24am
Hi d-zine, The blurb on the bmpt ad was written by Philip Simons and gives accurate specs etc, however I think the Shakepearian Males Class differed from the Shakespearian Females Class but I am unsure how exactly. Don has a book with a list of all the names of both classes, which hopefully he can reproduce here for us, unfortunately the book does not give much more information about these boats other than the list of names. I'll do some digging.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic