BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > High Speed Launches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MY RTTL Mk1. 2677

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MY RTTL Mk1. 2677
    Posted: 28 May 2007 at 7:43pm
Steve2677, Donald will send you her history as promised no doubt, it was an unfortunate story of a chap and his family who wanted to live the dream in the Med but never made it. The area your Dad need's to look at is the stern near the props, she had prop guards fitted, which due to some confusion at Scarborough were pushed through the hull badly damaging it. From then on it all went downhill for him, when  these boats were built they were built for speed and had very few creature comforts on board (although Hant's @ Dorsets had more than most) to keep them light, when you start making them into a floating house for comfort reasons then having a "fast hull" design turns into a nightmare as they have no keel as such, which is why it ended up in Scarborough. Due to the extra weight and problems with propeller cavitation due to the prop guards it spent more time going sideway's, if your Dad wants comfort and use it as a Motor Yacht at sea then he is going to need plenty of power as they were built to go fast forward. Like Donald It's great to read that she live's on. 
BoatBird View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoatBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 3:39pm
(details of the breed rafwebfoot? Got any history of 2625????)
rafwebfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafwebfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 11:28pm

Hi Steve,

if you give me your e-mail address I will send you her history as I have traced it along with details of the breed.

FAIR WINDS AND A FAVOURABLE TIDE
Donald
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 8:54pm

Steve, regarding epoxy sheathing there are plenty of people experienced in the pros and cons who are forum members, I'd suggest you talk to Asco (case for sheathing), Magic Fingers (case against) and AndyS (moderate, superb technical advice).

If she is sound I'd think twice to be honest, but then again if she is to live in fresh water it could well be a very good idea. If you decide to go ahead the guys at West System will I am sure give you a great deal of technical assistance.

It is most fortunate you joined when you did, rafwebfoot and tramontana are amongst the very best people to tell you more about the boat, and they both signed up just recently too!

Good luck, Christian.

Edited by Christian
marksaab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksaab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 6:56pm

Hi Steve

May be worth trying these guys http://www.woods-group.co.uk/

their website shows some quite large used marine engines. I do happen to know of a couple of 1100 HP Diesels going but they are in Finland!!   

Good luck

Mark

Only yield when you must, never "give up the ship," but fight on to the last "with a stiff upper lip!"
Steve2677 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve2677 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 6:39pm
Thanks for all the posts and history pics coming soon. I should note I am the son of the Owner.
Hi Christian,
She is still in a barge at St Osyth being fitted, hull is now back to DD planks (a rose coloured mahogany) new deck beams and ribs in place. She has a sound hull and thinking of a water tight covering i.e. west system £££. Any ideas.

Hi rafwebfoot, you bet love some information on the log of the ship who what where and when. (Strange how you all know her :)

To tramontana, finding new engines is not going to be easy. Trying to guess weight of boat is quite hard too. The large RR engines were in a bad way still working in this area. Thanks for history and yes the shafts are over sized.

tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 4:09pm
Hello Steve, glad to see you are interested in your boat's history, like Donald I have been keeping an eye on 2677 since I first took a photo of her at Hartlepool in the 60's where her first civilian owner lived, he is still alive and is a very clever Engineer/Inventor. he appeared on Tomorrow's World with Raymond Baxter because he invented the electric safety brake for coaches many years ago, he was also the person who put the 6cyR.R. x2 engines in your boat, Are they still fitted? When he bought her  from the RAF/NAVY disposals she still had her Sea Lion Petrol engines fittedx3 however one had gone bang so he had to bring her round to Hartlepool on just the 2. He was the Engineering Director of a local coach company and through his contact's came across the two R.R. diesel engines. Despite the fact that the propshafts handled the power of the Sea Lion petrol engine the Board of Trade insisted he fitted bigger diameter propshaft'sx2 so your's are not the standard size fitted to this type of boat Good look and like Donald I would love to see some photo's of her now.
rafwebfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafwebfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2007 at 11:34pm
Hi Steve, I would appreciate photos of CALYPSO ex PENTALINA ex 2677 I have followed her since she left the RAF and have lots of history on this boat if you are intersted.
FAIR WINDS AND A FAVOURABLE TIDE
Donald
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2007 at 9:05pm

Hi Steve

Nice boat, is she still in a barge at St Osyth being redone?

Rgds, Christian. 

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2007 at 8:45pm

Hello 'Steve2677'

Welcome Aboard.

Yes we are always interested to see pictures of boats on here - there are quite a few RAF motivated members (as well as RN - RCN -USN etc) Looking forward to seeing your boat

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic