BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > High Speed Launches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

St Nazairre Raid ( Op Chariot).

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rafwebfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafwebfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: St Nazairre Raid ( Op Chariot).
    Posted: 12 June 2007 at 7:38pm

Hi Folks,

HSL 145 was part of an order for the South African Air Force with 141 as the prototype and the last boat being 149. The order was cancelled as the boats were desparately needed to fill the UK establishment. This batch had no windlass fitted, only a samson post.

The first boat left the builders 0n 18/10/40 and the last one 13/08/41.

FAIR WINDS AND A FAVOURABLE TIDE
Donald
dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 10:01pm
Thanks Christian/Pioneer. I've ordered a copy off Amazon. Excellent to hear of another good book ( I thought I had them all!).

I can't find my BPB Bible, "Fast boats and flying boats" so I have no order/delivery dates for 145.   Was she  on the raid by any chance?

Re HSL 145, there's a 50/50 chance that I may have some good news on that front very shortly.  I haven't given up on her yet....

Cheers

Don

Only a number, not even a name. How shall posterity hear of thy fame?
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 9:22pm
Don-I just e-mailed the pages to both your address (sarus and rania).
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 7:55pm

Hello Don

14 HSL's were deployed 3 were destroyed - 'Christian' e-mailed me a few pages from "Sailors in the RAF'- this gives a very graphic account of the RAF input to the Dieppe landings - very brave men with over 15 killed in the RAF boats - if you can get a copy - well worth the read

Regards

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 6:15pm
Thanks Christian. Doh, of course there were no aircraft at the St Nazairre raid.  The ASR boats must have been at the Dieppe raid.

Same  - question...!!

Does anyone know which ASR launched took part in the Dieppe raid and which were lost?
Don

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 5:54pm
The invasion force consisted of Fairmile B MLs, one Fairmile C MGB and one Vosper MTB (plus the Cambletown) no ASR launches were involved.
dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 8:18am
Hi,
Does anyone know which ASR launched took part in the St Nazzaire raid and which were lost?

Thanks
Don

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic