BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

nuoli class, finnish mtb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DradinFin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2010 at 1:41pm

Hi all, a newcomer here. Nuoli 8 at Forum Marinum in Turku is finaly getting a roof over it, and yesterday they moved the boat to its new home:

The white boat next to Nuoli is Tyrsky, a Finnish Taisto-class MTB (Taisto 3) from 1943. The two boats had to be moved in before the glass structure is built on top of them. They will be joined by several smaller boats, including a motor boat (tender) from coastal defence ship Ilmarinen.

Photos courtesy of the YLE,
http://yle.fi/alueet/turku/2010/06/museoveneet_katoksen_suojiin_1794333.html
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2010 at 12:19pm
Hi there,

Just seen your photos, very good indeed, glad to see they are going to protect the craft, am involved with a project here in UK of which one of the partners is from Finland, add to my list of places to visit, many thanks, wonder what the one that made it here is doing, fast fishing boat last I heard, bit thirsty on the old diesel I imagine, another was for sale for a while with full weapons, de-commisioned I presume, a while back, many thanks,

Johnk
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2010 at 12:52pm
Hello John
Two recent images of the 'nuoli' on the Exeter Canal have been posted on the veterans forum http://rn-coastalforcesveterans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=140
As 'skier' stated - nothing much has been done.

Edited by Pioneer - 05 July 2010 at 12:53pm
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2010 at 8:28am
Hi there,

Thanks very much indeed for that, yes she dose look a bit abandoned now, possibly those thirsty engines not helping, thanks again,

Johnk
dmoore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2010 at 10:17am

Just a little History on the Nuolli 11.

I was the delivery skipper that brought it back from Finland and delivered it to the Ex.

At that time it had been bought as a project by the owner of an engineering company, the three engines and the generator having been restored by themselves in Finland, a Finnish skipper to kiel and then I took it accros the north sea after a refueling stop at Helgoland. Overnight on the River Orwell and then to Exeter

my recollection is that we took on 11 tons of diesel in helgoland and a further 7 ton in Wolverstone.

A full time job running those engines though, and the clutches would occasionally jam engaged which made close quarters interesting as someone had to go and belt it with a club hammer to get it released.

Somewhere I have photos of the insides if you are interested.

Dave
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2010 at 10:56am
Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for that, I am sure we would all be interested in any interior shots you may have, 18 tonnes dose sound a lot, and interesting as you say manouvering must have been fun with jamned clutches! thanks again,

Johnk
marksaab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksaab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 3:05pm
I had a look at her engine room etc a couple of years ago.  I think she's owned or looked after by some of the guys who work at Countess Wier Sewage works.

Problem with owning any of these boats is what do you do with them?

Good to see the pics of the one in Finland being preserved. 
Only yield when you must, never "give up the ship," but fight on to the last "with a stiff upper lip!"
rckens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rckens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2017 at 9:04pm
hi when i past today on the m5 it looked like he mtb on the exeter ship canal had partial sunk bow was down in the water
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 1:24pm
Hello there,

Many thanks for this albeit sad update...appears? perhaps to much for owners to look after...on a more positive note, the guys in America with PT305 are nearing re-launch, incredible effort, full restoration, including back to orgional length, having been shortend by some 13 feet! great stuff,

Johnk
rckens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rckens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 4:36pm
hi when i passed today she was completely underwater apart from the superstructure sad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic