BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > MASB32
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

63’ HSL 132?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 63’ HSL 132?
    Posted: 15 August 2007 at 10:53pm

I have a list of fates of the 63' BPB's which were given the generic name HSL. the first 63' built was MASB 22 (build no 1561) which was given the service number 122. Given this info and the build number of '32 (1571) I assume it is fair to say that S32 had the service number 132 or was hsl 132 (not MGB 132 reclassed MTB 451).

With this in mind, assuming my info is correct can anyone find any info on HSL 132? or correct me.jjclassed MTB45132 re132 re-classed as MTB 451and built at the Hythe yard

masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 10:05am
Hi Clive,

No but somebody did forward this photo of ASRL 130 to me a couple of days ago.

Advance - Runaway Quickly , Runaway Quickly
dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 11:24am
Hi Clive,

Have you seen  the image of MA/SB 32 below (from Christian's Web Images site). It seems to show her as S32.

Cheers

Don

Only a number, not even a name. How shall posterity hear of thy fame?
clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 12:16pm

Thanks Darren and Don,

I do have those photos of '32, I have assumed that the 'S' replaced the '1' when the ASDIC was installed, are there other photos of 63' HSLs with the three numbers like 130? (130 survived the war and was sold off in1946)

dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 1:38pm
Hi Clive,

HSL128, 129, 141 and 142 were (amongst others) all 63' Whaleback HSL's  I can dig out photos of more if you need.

Apparently, Admiralty order 931160/39 to BPB was for 64' boats but only 117-121 were completed as 64' boats. Boats 122 to 132 were completed as 63' HSL's.

(from Fast Boats and Flying Boats )

Cheers
Don

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 2:04pm

Clive, RN MA/SBs 22-39 used the 63ft Whaleback hull, as did RAF HSLs 122-190 (except the Aeromarine boats HSL 150-155 I think).

I really do not think it ever got more complicated than this, i.e. RN MA/SB 32 was certainly not the same boat as RAF HSL 132, if this is what you are trying to figure out.

clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 2:36pm

Thanks guys,

As you say the MASB 32 and HSL 132 were probably not the same boat even though they were all 63' type 2 hulls, in all the pictures of MASBs (24 33 35 etc) there is no '1' so I realise what you are saying.

The reason for my enquiry was that in the 'pack' which Hector gave me was a few pages written out by Bernard (Bernard Cox?) which said all of theese 63' boats were called 'HSLs' wether built for ASR / MASB etc. Also all build numbers and service numbers tally, which I suppose they would anyway. I will have another read tonight.

I am trying another angle to find some history but it seems as if it is not quite working!

In saying what has just been said, is ASRL 130 as in Darrens picture not HSL 130?

Thanks for not letting me wander off down the wrong path!

Edited by clive
dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 2:44pm
HSL130 is the one in the photo above. Not sure where 'ASRL' comes from. 

Don

tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 4:23pm
British Power Boats  built numbers 107 to 176 but they were 71ft boats powered by 3 packards, they were built in 1942 as M.G.B's and some were fitted with 2off 18inch T.T. whilst being built others had them retro fitted in 1943. so she would not have a "1" added to make her 132 for the Navy.  S32 was a 63ft "utility" hull type and by that I mean for the Navy she had 2 Napiers and for R.A.F. 3 napiers, she may well at some stage have had the 3rd napier fitted as it would not be a big job for a boatyard as she was already set up in her hull  design to cater for the  3rd engine, I think she has always carried S32 to save confusion as Vosper also built a 32 in 1940 as an M.T.B. which also carried the hull number 32. She may well have been used on A.S.R. duties but I do not think she was given an R.A.F. designation, I still am of the opinion Clive that she was a "special" boat because she had Asdic fitted and having Asdic fitted meant she could be used for all sorts of "special operations" where depth readings were required including previously unknown  depths for invasion charts
d-zine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-zine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 4:24pm
Hi Clive,

I have just been looking at the RAF Lincolnshire website

www.raf-lincolnshire.info/22mcu/22mcu.htm (can't get the hyperlink to work)

when I noticed that during 1942 MASB 29 is credited with 1 aircrew rescued. Between 1940-1942  22MCU (Grimsby) operated 63ft whaleback HSL's 131,139,141,142,144 & 188 not all at the same time.

Was MASB 29 being utilised as an HSL will retaining the MASB title or was this just a one off?

Also noted from the Polish MTB/MGB website (Freelance) that the Polish boats carried an "S" prefix.

Don ASRL is just my invention, on my image filing system all HSL's RTTL's are simply stored in a folder titled ASRL.

Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Pioneer
Advance - Runaway Quickly , Runaway Quickly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic