BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Gay Class Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gay Archer on TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gay Archer on TV
    Posted: 17 August 2007 at 6:44pm

Hi All,

Much to my regret, but only caught the last minuets of a Coastal Ways documentary the other night on Watchet, missed the listing in the paper, was there a bit in the programme on Gay Arhcer? at the very end of the show there was a shot of the harbour with her sitting right in front! I know they looked at the houseboats when they filmned at Shoreham. going aboard a woman's just post-war vessel.

Johnk 

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2008 at 5:26pm

The ex HMS Gay Archer as seen in February this year '08

Looking quite clean and tidy.

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2008 at 12:55pm

Hi there,

Indeed, great pic of Gay Archer, a real success story of course in restoration of an historic vessel, hope the owners are doing OK with her. I hope she might be able to get out and about though I understand it all costs!,

Johnk

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 5:53pm

Paul Childs has stated that the overhauled Stb'd Motor 'fired up' at the first touch of the button on Satuday (29th March). This has been quite a lengthy (and costly) rebuild for him - Paul having to have the motor lifted from the Hull -transported to Bristol - completely stripped out (to the last nut and bolt) - reassembled (with new parts shipped in from America) - Paul undertaking most of this work on his own - a true labour of love.

Paul intends to be at the Bristol Regetta at the beginning of August - more news to follow.

Edited by Pioneer
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 10:47pm

Hi there,

Great news re GA and the engine, stangly the starboard engine on the PR22 had to be re-built, using a slightly newer donor engine and was German of course! good also to hear she will be having an outing in Bristol.

JohnK

Jacmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2008 at 1:36pm
Hello
Regarding "Gay" class in general on TV, I watched the film "The ship that died of shame" the other night. Am I right in thinking the boats in the film are post-war Gay class? They look very similar. If not theres some real nice footage whatever they are. Would be interested to know if anyone does.
Regards
Jacmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2008 at 1:37pm
PS - The boat number used in the film was P1081
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2008 at 2:23pm
Yes 'jacmac' it was really P1050 HMS Gay Dragoon that 'played' the part of "1087" (I believe - not 1081) Lovely sounds in the opening credit runs - I have a good video copy of that film and I play it now and again, (when feeling a bit nostalgic) - she was my old boat (or should I say I served aboard her)Smile

Edited by Pioneer - 01 July 2008 at 2:25pm
Jacmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2008 at 2:41pm
Apologies, you are correct, not 1081 but 1087! I assume she was still in service when they shot the film, so did the RN crew her or civilians under RN command? "Yes" I agree, truly spectacular sound at the start, if your video ever wears out PM me and I'll send you a DVD copy! Incidentally, any ideas about the others in the shot when they re-group and return to harbor? All Gay class I presume? Or is it a bit of film trickery and they're all Gay Dragoon?? Must have been a very enjoyable experience serving aboard such a craft - very jealous!
Would it be worth starting a post listing films with boats of interest to BMPT members and forum users? I've seen several old films recently and been surprised at what crops up, some I know, and the others I'm sure members will enjoy identifying.
Regards
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2008 at 3:21pm
The film was shot after I had left the service. I am led to believe that she was up for 'disposal' when the film company asked for the 'loan'. I also understand that there were several clips of an earlier class (mk3 Vosper) - but this (or these) would have been in private hands by then. Thank you for your kind offer - but I think I'll 'wear out' before the videoWink
Cheers

Edited by Pioneer - 01 July 2008 at 3:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic