BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Where Are Those Boats Now
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HMS Kellington

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2008 at 11:58am
As requested by Pioneer (or Pathfinder) before, can we keep the snide comments to PM's so the rest of us don't have to read them.

No offence intended but it gets rather tiresome....
Don

Only a number, not even a name. How shall posterity hear of thy fame?
northeastuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2008 at 1:19pm

I was just implying that I had not thought of that.Then stated an expert needs to look after her. sorry if you thought i was having a go.

Sorry you took it the wrong way.

If you want to comment im open to private PM's

Edited by ForumManager
tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2008 at 1:22pm
I heartily agree dgray with you there. 

Edited by ForumManager
graham01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 12:32pm
Hi All

I just thought I would post a abridged version of our newsletter here for any interested party to read and maybe comment.

I have been busy so not posting all that much here, Plus for obvious reasons I thought it best to hang low but as things are still proceeding I thought I would try again here.

The following is as said a abridged version to the full copy.

Progress report

1.      At the end of last month and the beginning of this month we approached 2 maritime agencies, The Historic vessels, and Sunderland Maritime Heritage, We felt they may be able to help with letters of support. The replies we obtained where very favorable. And these have been added to the support letters already obtained.

2.      We also approached the Stockton Council water Authority regarding keeping the Kellington where she is and renovating her to a standard to use for training. They quickly blew this out of the water so our original plans to remove her are now the only option.

3.      Two possible sites has now been found for the lifting out of the ship both of these sites fall within the Stockton area so all permissions will have to come from them. We hope to be in a position to apply for the permissions through the council by the end of this month. A draft planning permission is been wrote up by our solicitors as we speak.

4.      The BBC made a report on a similar project although this was land based. They asked us to put our project foreword. We have not done so as yet but we do have a contact for this. We will also be preparing the news press release and awaiting the outcome of the meeting with the council before sending it to the press.

5.      We have also been in touch with the MNTB (Maritime Nautical Training Board) regarding obtaining details certification we require. We have been granted the correct ones in readiness and courses have been prepared in readiness.

6.      A dry dock near the Kellington’s position has been secured.

7.      A meeting with the Wivanhoe’s museum has enabled us to work out tonnages for the lift. A lot more work needs to be done on this so if anyone can estimate the lightest we can get the ship down to it would be appreciated.  

8.      We now have a second offer for another long term Berth for the Kellington when work is complete.

9.      We are also now in talks with a European Sea Cadets Society regarding sponsorship deals. Several companies have also shown a big interest in this form of backing. Our latest figure for financial backing now stands at £666,300.00 plus possible sponsorship on top of this. This figure has the possibility of been higher if we chose to operate as a charity. And not a non profit making organization as we are at the moment.

10.  Full insurance cover has been arranged for the Kellington project.

11.  Stockton Council informed us after we contacted them that 6 workers where aboard the Kellington removing litter.

12.  as well as the Kellington Project, we have also started talks to obtain a second ship, This ship is a ex RN Survey vessel. An initial viewing was done last week where we also met up with, Don Smith of the Nottage society, Hans Ng of Brooks Bros and Bob Dean of the TCA. The purpose of this second ship is for two reasons, Firstly to show we are serious and not as been suggested just playing around. And secondly in order to have a ship working and starting the all important business base.

3.         Where we are with the council

1.      We have applied for the follow up meeting to take place in September with the aim of  removing the Kellington by end of year.

Well folks thats it for now,

graham01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by northeastuser northeastuser wrote:

The sea cadets have been asked about selling and the regional organization have vetoed it.

Regarding funds, did you know the Stockton sea cadets had over 40k in funds the year they left the K.

Hi NEU

Thats a interesting point, As for the amount, I assume you are adding the income and deducting the expenditure from the accounts available on the Charity Commissions web site as this is the only way I can get it to same amount as you.

The Charity commission was in contact with me regarding a few things and as seems rather prevalent in this topic the accounts for the Stockton sea cadets have gone astray.

But at this present time no one can purchase the ship nor apparently can anyone scrap it either. It is in a bit of a sticky situation but this can be worked round apparently.

We have as stated obtained insurance and all other documentation requested by the Council at previous meeting. We have a dry dock waiting and lifting Co standing by.

Graham
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 1:02pm
Hi all,

Re above, well, what can I say but wow! I have to say I was sceptical that anything could or would be done for her but...appreciate early days but you seem to be giving it a really good go! is there a web-site for the project? I am sure many would be interested to hear about her and even offer more support perhaps! hear the Bronnington has just about had it so keeping Kellington would be good. Proposing to lift her? that will be quite a site, can only wish you all the best, do please keep in touch when you can.

Johnk  
graham01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by johnk johnk wrote:

Hi all,

Re above, well, what can I say but wow! I have to say I was sceptical that anything could or would be done for her but...appreciate early days but you seem to be giving it a really good go! is there a web-site for the project? I am sure many would be interested to hear about her and even offer more support perhaps! hear the Bronnington has just about had it so keeping Kellington would be good. Proposing to lift her? that will be quite a site, can only wish you all the best, do please keep in touch when you can.

Johnk  

Hi Johnk

Thanks for the interest, There is a small website which is in need for total revamp and update, It was set up in a hurry and I am working on a new one as and when I get time. It can be found at:

Please excuse the adverts at moment I usually have them as a premium but we had a massive hack on the Society site and I dropped the lot for a spell until I decided where to take them.

As most people here know we have been working on this project now for some time. Unfortunately as is still the case within some circles we are not taken serious. There is a lot of work going on behind the scenes sort of thing and many ideas and plans which are been researched within the market so to speak. But the main project is now well under way and all reports are complete.

As I say I will try to keep you updated and most of the time this will be when news comes in or we do th monthly newsletter (which is to be re-styled next month)

Hope to speak to you all soon and as said if anyone wants the newsletters in the future please contact me or if you have any questions let me know we always answer all mails. Our society address is. hemlingtonnhs@gmx.co.uk or you can send the Kellington mail from the site or by personal mail from here.

Regards
Graham

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 3:22pm
Hi Graham,

Many thanks for your last and most interesting. Have been onto the site and can see you really have quite something on your hands! but as mentioned, I think it would be a total waste of a great little ship and an assest to the area if he was just broken and disposed of, happens far to often with our marine heritage. Again wish you and your team all the best,

JohnK
graham01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 5:25pm
Hi Johnk

Yes unfortunately this is happening all too often now. We have most bases covered now and all we can do is hope at the end of the day. Unfortunately the council seem hell bent in scrapping but we will fight to the end. I do honestly think we stand a good chance.
Keith J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2009 at 5:51pm
Hello,

My first post here. I wish you every luck with the Kellington project.

I travelled from Shoreham to Guernsey and back, on her as a young sea cadet in the around 1980. We engaged in paired minesweeping with H.M.S Alfriston on the way to Guernsey. I had a thoroughly enjoyable time on board and recall that when the bow gun was fired to port or starboard, she would jump into a slight list from the recoil.

It is saddening to see her in such a condition. I hope that something can be done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
  Share Topic