BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Merchant Navy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GT Cargo Boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike weller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2007 at 2:31pm
I saw the film 'San Demitrio-London' when I was a kid. After that all I ever wanted to do was go to sea in tankers. My wish came true, ended up with BTC!
mike weller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike weller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2007 at 2:35pm

Don't forget the T2 tankers, half their main propulsion unit was a steam turbine.

tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2007 at 4:27pm
Hello Mike and welcome to you, did you serve on T2's and if you did had their gun tubs been removed? not a Tanker man myself, certainly not after watching San Demtrio and other War films!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike weller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2007 at 7:49pm

Hello tramontana, and thanks for the welcome.

Yes I was on the SMOKY HILL, '50/51, and the RED BANK, '56/57.

Great ships with unheard of amenities for anyone used to British ships. The gun tubs were long gone before my time. After my MN service, I spent some time in the RNXS. We did our training at HMS VERNON, Portsmouth in Inshore Minesweepers of the HAM class, PORTISHAM in my case. There does not seem to be any interest in these little ships on this website and I wonder why?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 6:51pm

Mike, Ham's have popped up now and again but best source of info on Ham's, Loyal's and patrol vessels is W.S.S. small craft group, if you are not a member let me know and I will p.m. you with  contact info. Apparently there is still a T2 being used for storage at the southern end of the Suez Canal, I was on a private steam yacht around 4 weeks ago she had 2 quadriple expansion engines they were smaller versions of liberty ship engines, and were built before W.W.2 by a locomotive company, her original boilers had been replaced by oil fired fully automatic square, yes square boilers. She was built for the Dodge family (Dodge Motors) had War Service, post war she went downhill, now a luxury yacht with a 3/4 Steinway piano in the lounge and a superbly kept engineroom with that unique smell that brings tears to the eyes of old steam men

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 7:28pm

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I did one weekend "tour" on a HAM many moons ago with Chatham RNXS, fantastic old world standard of build, brass speaking tubes etc and plenty of wood. Above yacht sounds great, you can't beat the smell of steam!,

JohnK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 8:24pm
johnk, and the quick drying facility of the "fiddley tops" I hope the Ham had plenty of ballast in to replace her missing pulse genny!!like Tons they rolled very badly due to their shallow draught, as you say good old fashioned British design and engineering.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike weller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 11:40am
While I was doing my RNXS training , we had trips up to Chatham and around the Isle of Wight. The IoW trip was in a Force 9. Before we set out some navy bod told us he thought it was a bit rough, to which our Skipper, Commander Hill (he of the Royal Yacht) replied, "what do you think we are, a bunch of bloody amateurs?". to which there was no reply. So off we went, it was the first and only time that I have ever been seasick.

Edited by mike weller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 2:14pm
Pagham is still about on the West Coast of Scotland although I understand she has been a Submarine once or twice so her  Paxmans may be shot, still a few others around in various states of repair, small craft group magazine is an excellent publication, well put together by the Bros' and well worth the membership fee. 
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 3:15pm

Mike

Portisham now;

http://www.boat-list.com/boatdetailpopup.asp?btsrefno=519389 6&callpage=externalbrokerlist

For more Ham (and Ley) class info suggest tca2000 website, e-mail the webmaster of the site with your questions he is a knowledgeable chap.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic