BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > High Speed Launches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HSL 2552

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzjamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2012 at 7:41pm
good for you paul, its a good thing, all the best on the restoration,Jamie
all for the memory of my dad.
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 4:08pm
Hi Paul,

Just noticed your post on the this, add to gpzjamie wishing you all the best with the restoration....do please keep us posted, all the best,

Johnk
PaulJolliffe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJolliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 8:51pm
2552 took her first steps yesterday on the road to restoration by moving from her moorings for the past 20+ years at Tarleton, we moved her to Preston where she will be craned out in the next week or so. We'll then wait for the permits to come through to allow her movement on the motorway to her new home while I restore her.

The above photo shows her on the River Douglas being towed by an old Pinnace, the boat to the rear pulled alongside shortly after the shot was taken and both boats towed her. She travelled the 10 miles in around 2 and a half hours.

She sailed really well, gliding through the water, you can see how she cuts through the water producing very little wash, we are only travelling at 4 knots, but I got a real feel for how she will handle once completed and back on the water.

I'll post some photos of the lift out when it happens and then the journey to her new home.

I'll also provide details of where she ends up in case anyone wants to see her, as the organisation that are allowing me to store her have an open day once a month where their other objects can be seen and they have a mini tour.

- Paul
- Paul

http://hsl2552.co.uk
gpzjamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpzjamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 9:10pm
Looking Good Paul, well done mate, Jamie
all for the memory of my dad.
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 9:10am
Hi there,

Indeed, great to see her and would be great to know where she is, and pictures of the lift....sure you know, but lifting old wooden vessels can be tricky, work in a marina and we do lifting, plenty of strops and support in the right place plus when on shore if I may say so...

Johnk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJolliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 10:45am
I am having a steel support built at the moment, similar to the cradle they were originally shipped in, the cradle will support her in 5 places. The plan is to sink the cradle into the basin, sail her over the cradle and then lift the cradle, as opposed to her. The cradle lifting points will have large spreader bars, to prevent damage to the hull.

While she is on the cradle the cables from the crane will prevent her falling out of the cradle. Once she is in the quayside she will be packed at the chine, further spreading her load. The cradle is around 40' x 13' and she will remain on the cradle for the duration of the restoration. The cradle is going to be certified to hold 30 tonnes and can be beefed up should we need to.

Hopefully the lift out will take place late this week, or early next week.
- Paul

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 8:42am
Hi Pau,

Many thanks for the update, indeed you clearly have the lift covered for sure,  best of luck with the lift,

Johnk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJolliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 3:52pm
Just a quick update, she was lifted from the basin last weekend, it was a long day as I needed to pump her out and get her afloat ready for the lift. Plus the weather wasn't great, 45+ mph winds, wind chill took it to a little above freezing, hail and rain in the morning.

But all went to plan and she is now safe on dry land. The new website is up and running hsl2552.co.uk I'll keep it updated with progress.

She should be moving in the next couple of weeks to her new home at RAF Hooton Park.

Some pictures of the lift...

The cradle:

The actual lift:

Photo showing the condition of her hull:

- Paul

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 6:57pm
Hi Paul,

Thanks very much indeed for the update, great stuff to see, so glad it al went well with the lift there, yes as you would expect hull a bit worse for ware! all the very best,

Johnk
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 7:16pm
Hi again,

Just had a look at the we-site there, very interesting, the Griffin trust looks great, another to add to my list of places to visit!, again all the best,

Johnk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic