BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Gun Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MGB 81

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksaab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 10:16am
I think the TV report mentioned possiblity of going abroad but as John says its all done and dusted!

I think the UK must now have the best collection of working/preserved WW2 fast boats in the World and thanks to enthusiastic groups and the skills of companies like Newsons and The Wheatcroft Collection their numbers may actually grow!

Mark

Only yield when you must, never "give up the ship," but fight on to the last "with a stiff upper lip!"
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 12:46pm
Hi Mark,

Yes, by the work of the people you mentioned, we certainly do have a great collection now, I know been mentioned before so nothing new, but a rally of some kind, guess? south coast, with Medusa and the 81/ HSL102 there, or a say the marina in the former naval dockyard at Chatham! better for say MTB 102, or perhaps even better the Thames, big PR push,  yes takes "A N Other" to sort I know and of course issue of manning and fuel and berthing,  etc,  Medusa will need work up for a start, any way, early days,

Johnk
The wood Wizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The wood Wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 2:01pm
yes, and there is always the East Coast where in Lowestoft there are MTB102, Spitfire, Humber,Zeta, White Lady, not everything is on the south coast.
restore and improve but in the same way as before.
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 3:56pm

I quite agree, was just putting up a few thoughts, have no particular thing for the south coast by any means...... and as you rightly point out, no shortage of historic and interesting craft Lowestoft way, and of course the maritime festival which I have been along to a few times now, could almost do a whole show on these and the other vessels.

Johnk
clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 5:19pm
when  boats such as these in such amazing condition are advertised in Yachtworld or Apolloduck there is going to be interest from abroad, there could have been the possibility that a foreign individual may have wanted an interesting boat to play with.
Dont assume the public is told about all the ins and outs of a private individuals boat sale.
masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
AndyS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 10:13pm

Originally posted by The wood Wizard The wood Wizard wrote:

Nice to see footage of HSL102 and MGB81 on the water but oh such a pity that the facts are so incorrect, "both boats at Dunkirk" not so one in for repairs and crew on leave the other not even built. 40 knots, not likely either but then journalists always exagerate. A lot of people like the ADLS go to a lot of trouble to get facts right so why are they ignored they are the authority on the subject. Stretching the facts can only do harm in the long run so lets tell it as it should be.

As a rounded figure for this happens to be a good enough as reasonable average figure. One slightly high and one slightly low, but which is which?

Have you run the numbers on the boats performance? Generally it pays to be careful about performance claims and what they are based upon. It would be good to compare them for their original and current configuration, at full rated load as well as their light condition.

As you will know with your experience with similar boats, there can be much 'smoke and mirrors' and it pays to get down to the bare facts and validated trials data in a trials condition and the location, water depth, tide, direction of runs, averaging method and engine data. Not all boats live up to their original builders hype and their owner’s expectations, even nowadays.

Edited by Pioneer - 24 February 2010 at 10:38pm
John Cook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 5:14pm
Some years ago I joined GB81 as crew. At dawn on a Tuesday in April, we slipped the mooring at Buckler's Hard on the Beaulieu River and 'paddled' down the river to the Solent, in thirty minutes we burst out from the river mouth and roared toward the Needles Lighthouse, as we passed the beacon I set my stopwatch and we headed out into the
English Channel.  79 nautical miles later we entered the harbour  at Alderney in the Channel Isles, my watch showed a lapsed time of 2hrs and 6minutes.
On the return trip some days later with some wind at the harbour mouth a wave came over the deck and drenched me from head to toe, nevertheless my watch survived and timed the ship leaving the harbour and passing the Needles in two hours and one minute.
Portsmouth now has this magnificient vessel and I pray that hundreds of our young men and women will have their chance to experience at least a small part of that described above.   John Cook
John Cook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2010 at 10:56pm
Gunboat 81 Opens the Southampton Boat Show 2010
The Portsmouth Trust and new owners of the vessel displayed her replete with pretend sailors in fancy dress.  VIPS and TV Stars were there by the boat load, there were speeches and cheerleaders, everyone who couldnt possibly have any connection with this Treasure of World War Two were there with the handful of veterens who did....but the restorers, the Clabburn Family were not invited, their name was not mentioned, their prescious restoration ignored. Whatever happened to the Handing Over Party we and they were all promised? In a way I am glad the Family were not there; they would have been ashamed.
John Cook

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2011 at 11:22am
Hi there,

Just logged onto What's New section and see the piece on HSL 102 and MGB 81, noted fantastic news of new engines for HSL 102 and years of on-going service, but....note the intention of laying up 81 ashore post 2014.....OK better than nothing but slightly dissapointing, of course appreciate running such craft is not easy, I know 81 drinks fuel at one level but still.....I guess this is the main factor, up keep and maintance,  I don't know of course the full facts, any way, I wanted to comment,

Johnk
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 4:37pm
Two recent images (March 2012) of MGB 81 now sporting her main armament.

Edited by Pioneer - 17 March 2012 at 4:38pm
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic