BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Where Are Those Boats Now
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Dog" boat found.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2008 at 1:35pm

Hi there,

Indeed, now you mention it, it dose seem the port side aft has been damaged and I to noticed the "dent" in the foredeck, pity, as I said, the starboard side was pretty intact. I to think that it is likely she was broken up, but then again perhaps a bit was saved, saw a chap had the stern of a coastal craft in his gargage her on the forum. Like the Chatham embers bit, but as mentioned, no luck in getting much interest.

Johnk

Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2008 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by tramontana tramontana wrote:

Having a closer and longer look at the photo's I reckon she has been underwater for some time and has been lifted out and beached for disposal, she seems to be pretty devoid of deck fittings, it would appear to me that at sometime she was  stripped of anything useful and scuttled. The hole in the deck looks like either a large rock or an anchor has gone through it, perhaps she was in the way of a pipeline or a marina developement. Bearing in mind the date of the photo and it looks like the chainsaws have  been at her stern I would be suprised if she still exists today, so the Chatham embers may still be the last sign of a Dog boat. On the subject of Dog Boats I "googled" the Bitter lakes and there are boats on the beach next to the old airfield but it is difficult to see what they are

Hi Where are the Bitter Lakes?

tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2008 at 4:38pm

Hello Jim, on the  the Suez Canal, a number of Dog boats were left by their R.A.F. crews to provide Officers quarters, if you google the area you will see the old air base to the N.N.W. Like the Greeks the Arabs tend to be able to keep boats going long after other people have given up usually on a needs must basis and a dry climate helps, their are rumours that when the R.A.F. cleared the base after the War hundreds of engines were buried, somewhere

RBDG

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2008 at 5:19pm

Hi there,

Inded, I to was thinking where we these Bitter Lakes! but was to "polite" to ask! but you are quite right regards keeping ships going, they are looking to bring back the HMS Whimbrel a WW2 frigate wich the Eygiptians ran as a training ship and accomodation vessel, interesting web site but not got the exact address to hand, and is in almost all origional condition ie weapons and systems, but has had a very comprehensive over-plating job!. So, may be something there, bit dried out in such a climate but....now shipping a hundred plus foot WW2 vessel from there....!

John K

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 3:06pm

John K, unfortunatly "dog boats" had a lot of glue in them as you know and may have suffered the same fate as the Mosquito's that were stored out there when they found the joints were coming adrift due to the heat, the affected aircraft engines and bearer's were axed out of the wings, the aircraft were put into a circle (tails pointing towards the centre), the fuel drain cocks opened and a flare pistol fired at them. Who knows what has happened to the "dog boats"?

RBDG

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 8:45pm

Hi Tramontana

Indeed, I read somewhere, the forum?, about the glue on the D's, and that even in this climate the glue used was not upto the mark, let alone as you say in a hot climate. What a way to go for the Mosquitos, think of all the work and materials used, but then that was the post war thing, some much material produced and then not needed at the end. In the Medway towns we had a Fairmile factory and at the end of WW2 a load of hulls were unwanted and were sold minus engines and fuel tanks, for houseboats.

JohnK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 3:35pm
 Johnk, I don't know how old you are but if you ever bought any of the famous Harry Lebus furniture post war it would have been made by former Mosquito builders, fortunatly for the people on this Forum the old boats  were bought to live on as there was a shortage of housing which saved them (Motor boat&Yachting use to be full surplus boat sales) and "WE" would have nothing to look at these days (as unlike Canada who are keen to preserve their W.W.2 Maritime history our Government is not, as they don't want to upset our European Partners). even though as houseboats they did put some strange structures on top to make them practical to live on needs must of course.
Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 4:11pm

Hi

Does anyone know where in Norway She is to Google her ?

Spent a lot of time looking about Bitter Lakes (Both of them)

And yes there could be some hulks on the beach...not sure about the scale though :(

Anyone know what happened to the Argintine Dogs ?

Found a page and pics of models while back....Mmmm i wonder

Regards to all

Jim.

clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 4:16pm

Tramontana

Indeed, I have just got hold of a 1960 Bedford C4 bus which had spent the last half of its life as a caravan on various traveller sites in England, there are some real rare beasts on the site I looked round, OK all the seats have been ripped out of mine but I dont want them and if it had not been lived  in it would probably be in the big bus depot in the sky...

Edited by clive
masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 6:01pm

Hi Tamontana,

Not quite that old! but very interesting, as you say, thanks to post-war people needing housing, we have a number of these craft surviving, not least MTB 102 which was a housboat for a number of years, albeit some modifications are often done. I know of one on the Medway which unfortunatley has lot some bulkheads but is still going as a houseboat, another Freelance as short ex Polish forces was practicaly as was, just smaller engines and tanks. Also with the 486 which the Canadians are hoping to bring back, would be nice to see thier web site on the links section, I know they have BMPT listed on thiers. All great stuff,

Johnk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic