BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > E Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

S204 Help needed.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormvogel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S204 Help needed.
    Posted: 02 February 2008 at 11:25am

Hello All, I have been researching my Grandfathers exploits on various MTB and MGB's during WW2, however there is one boat that is causing me some problems. His certificate of service states that from 6th June to the 28th July 1945 he served aboard S204. I presume that this was a captured S-boat, but cannot find any information on this craft. I have attached a photo of his service record as the hand writing is a little like a Doctors and I may be miss reading the scribble. If anyone has any information I would be very grateful to hear it.

Many thanks, Stormvogel

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2008 at 12:06pm

Hello 'Stormvogel' welcome aboard.

S204 was certainly one of the 'War Booty' that were claimed by the Allies at War's end. This particular boat (alongside S130) formed part of the 'Klose Fast Patrol Boat Squadron' (named after an S boat Flotilla CO who worked with the Allies after the War) These two particular boats were later part of the 'British Baltic Fishery Protection' Flotilla, formed as a guise to spy during the early Cold War era. There may be an article, soon to 'published' on this site, outlining S130's post war career which will include reference to S204.

Meanwhile you may find more info if you 'Google' -Operation Jungle.

Rgds 

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2008 at 10:03am

S204 is shown here entering Felixstowe on the 13th May 1945 after the surrender of Germany. It had left Dan Elder in company with S205 carrying Admiral Erich Breuning and his entourage with maps of the German Minefields around Holland and Denmark etc. They had met up with a British 'welcoming' party of 10 MTB's just off Felixstowe. On board can be seen two British Officers (one of which is Peter Scott - later Sir Peter Scott) and two British Ratings. Prominant is the Black Panther - insignia of the 4th Schnellboot Squadron.

photo IWM. 

Edited by Pioneer
Stormvogel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormvogel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2008 at 8:32pm

Thank you very much for your help, I have been looking for clues to S204 for nearly 5 years. I should have come here sooner! Your lead on Operation Jungle has also proved very useful. Anything else that comes to light would be greatly appreciated, and I will keep an eye out for the article on S130's post war career.

Many thanks again,

Stormvogel

John D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2008 at 10:33am

Hi Stormvogel,

In your research have you ever come across anyone who served on MTB 259 or boats in the range 259 to 268. ( Mosquito's )

Our uncle was lost on MTB259 near Malta but we never realy knew where he served prior to that.

Cheers,

John D

J.D
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2008 at 12:21pm
The boats that you quote were Elco's, There is some details of their early carreer's and action's in "Meditteranean MTB's at War" by LC Reynolds and HF Cooper (ISBN 0 7509 2274 5) Page 34 gives a list of their CO's.
palley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2008 at 10:54am
I have some photos of 259 being loaded with torpedoes at Alexandria. I doubt if they're good enough to recognise your uncle, but I'll send them by email if you're interested. My father was secretary to the Captain of Coastal Forces and may have had the information you need, but sadly he died some years ago.

Patrick
John D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 5:11am

Hi Patrick,

Yes would be very interested in the photo,s you have, if you could mail them here or to Atom@qcast.freeserve.co.uk it would be appreciated.

John (in Yorkshire)
J.D
derbeulepuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derbeulepuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2011 at 3:17pm
Hi Stormvogel!
Have a look on www.s-boot.net and try to contact Kalle Scheuch.

I'm absolutely sure, that Kalle has some pictures of S-204! ;-)
Best regards-
Volker Groth
derbeulepuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derbeulepuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2011 at 5:35pm
Moin Stormvogel!
You will find pictures of S 204 on www.s-boot.net under s-boats-kriegsmarine-whereabouts of the S-boats
MfG Volker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic