Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Coastal Forces
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB 679

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 2:43pm
Robert Soder was also a member of the Coastal Forces Veterans Association (CFVA), having the relatively low membership number of 749. Although that organisation officially disbanded in 2007, there are three Branches still functioning.
Robert served on MTB's 678 - 679 and 5010, holding the Rate of A/B AA3.

Regards
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
Phantome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2020 at 11:35am
i am both pleased and amazed to read the posts on MTB 679. I have been trying to find out about the history of the retired MTB my father purchased back in 1951 and that I lived on for a while when I was very very young. The purchase document showed it as MTB 027. Only in the last few days did I realise that the object behind my father in the attached photo was a crows nest. I am deducing that it was in fact the LRRC 027 and previously MTB 679, and probably the very same MTB in your discussions.

If this is the case, it was purchased from Mr Frank May or Colchester  in April 1951 and was name "The Phamtome" houseboat, and was moored at Empire Wharf, Chatham. My parent wanted to call it the Snow Goose, but because there was no white paint available - only blue - it was painted and called the Blue Goose. I do not know what happened in the end, but after we moved it became the change rooms for the chorus line at the Empire Theatre.

If this really is MTB 679, I am so grateful for you filling in some more of its past. I started on a model of it as an MTB - I am now unsure whether to convert that to a LRRC or not. Looking at the little bit of history you have provided, I am tempted to stay with the MTB configuration.

I have a couple of other photos of the inside with my father and elder brother, and a newspaper cutting from 1952 with my mother, 2 boys and 12 barkless basenjis. Sadly they are no longer around to find out more from our time on the boat.uploads/1942/BGVsmall.zip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic