BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Naval steamboat T4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2008 at 10:56am
Have you any info from n.e.u. as to whether steam pinnaces ran a complete loss system or a recovered one. Family Courts are a nightmare 
northeastuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2008 at 11:21am

no idea m8, iv only a few steam enginering books from the time and nothing says anything about pinnaces. But condensers do seem to be a later 'upgrade'. Ask tramontana, i think he will know about machinery than me.

Oh don't talk about family courts to me, if you get a court apointed welfare officer i suggest you shot her and do the time, its easyer.

But we won in the end. just buy lots af garlic and a few wooden stakes.

tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2008 at 6:32pm
just trying to establish why she should have such large inlet v/v fittings/ blanked off hole as it gives the impression that she may have had a condenser. T4 if you type in Admilalty Steam Pinnaces on google there is some good info on them as well as the pinnace in Cyprus (with Photo's) called "Transmere"
boat T4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat T4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2008 at 11:23pm

I have looked at the tranmere vavle, it seems similar in function with the outlet pipe coming out the side, the valve has a key not a handle  like T4. Though if you compare the handle on the valve on T4 with those on the seaplane tender link above, they seems much earlier in date. Whats the date on tranmere?

http://picasaweb.google.com/katcress/Transmare/photo#5055805 305959941938

boat T4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat T4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 12:08am

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ssoching _?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=steam+pinnace&am p;Go.x=12&Go.y=10

This is a print of 1881, it doesnt show much detail but the hitching post/ towing post on T4 are similar. Though how much this tells us im unsure. Will look closer on arrival, seems to have view of a Tarp cover?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 11:08am

I am not sure as to the date of Tranmere and I do not think the Owner's are 100% sure of her build date either. In regards to the v/v in the cupboard on the Tranmere and for people who are not familiar with steam power I will describe it's function, the v/v is actually a boiler fitting which is why it has a "SafetyCage" fitted, the cast handle/ lever has a square "bore" and a metal lug cast on the outside which fits into and then goes past the slot on the safety cage to be able to turn the tapered core of the v/v, the purpose of this safety device is to prevent the handle being removed whilst the v/v is still open which is important when blowing a boiler down in salt water as you don't want salt water flowing back into the boiler and that is why a high pressure steam v/v is unusually fitted on the ship/boat side. It is a definite sign that the boat was once in steam and it's position is under the waterline when the craft is afloat which is why you need to be "on your toes" when blowing a boiler down after the steam pressure (which blows the boiler water out) noise stops and before the salt water flows back in, it is normal practise on board ship that the Engineer who blows the smoke tube type boiler down is the person who knocks the boiler bottom door in, if he got it wrong he would be the person who gets possibly scalded or nearly drowns  RBDG tramontana

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 12:09pm

This was my uncles old boat and started her life as a 100man/ sailing/rowing pinnace she brought a tear to my eye as she looks exactly the same as she did in the 50's;

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 7:34pm
The above boat is now called the John.H.Vincent, when my Uncle had her in the 40/50/60's she was called Lady Margaret and has changed very little barring that she is now fitted with twin Gardener's. I could not believe it when I saw her in Hull Marina, despite her change of name I recognised her immediatly and Phil. S. confirmed her previous identity as the Lady M.
boat T4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat T4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 8:14pm

Ok, cheers for that. The measurements for the fourbolt flange is about 4 3/4 or 5", do you think it is something to do with a steam engine?

I managed to lock myself out the forum site and had to register again and i am no longer receiving private messages, sorry.

There does seem to be some similarities between T4 and your Uncles boat, what was the date on that hull.

cheers anthony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 1:42pm
It appears to be a problem with the Site I have had the same difficulty logging on, In regards to my Uncles boat I don't know when the hull was built, again I put this down to the boat being built in the shipbuilders own workshop rather than being built as part of a batch ordered from a dedicated wooden boat builder like B.M.P.T. who built motor boats for the Navy before WW2. As far as I can remember the hull was an ex sailing /pulling boat as I am sure she still had signs of her oar scallops which were covered over on the outside when she was rebuilt the same time as our boat which was  alongside on the wet slips. The only difference with yours is that she was twin screw which means to me that she was never converted to take a steam engine. The v/v size does seem rather large for a water intake on a I.C. engine but again we get back to the fact that it is an old boat that you have and has most probably been retro-fitted many times in her life. There are a lot of old Service's boats around that have proved difficult in trying to establish there origin's so don't be too disappionted even some that were built in WW2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 17>
  Share Topic