BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Modelling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fairmile D MTB/MGB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fairmile D MTB/MGB
    Posted: 09 April 2005 at 11:15am

hi all,

Im planing on building a 1:24th scale model of a fairmile D, as im researching the subject i was just wondering if any one has any info in this class to ade my research, any info i would be greatful.

many thanks

Alex Chubb  :- e-mail   chubbster45@hotmail.com  

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2005 at 5:54pm

Hello Alex,

Your question really is 'open ended'. The Fairmile 'D' had many guises ranging from MTB-MGB-RAF Air Sea Rescue etc (they even served in the Merchant Navy under the Red Duster!).

What are now held to be 'Bible's' on all things to do with Fairmile's and their construction (all models) are John Lambert and Al Ross's-"Allied Coastal Forces of World War 2" Volumn 1, while "Gunboat 658" by L C Reynolds tells a graphic story of war time life aboard such a vessel, he is also the author of "Dog Boats at War", another must for serious research. All those books should be available at most Library's.

Good luck with your model

Regards

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
chubb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2005 at 5:58pm

thanks very much,

I will get down the Library some time next week

Cheers

alross2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alross2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2005 at 8:04pm

John also did an Anatomy of the Ship on the FAIRMILE D - super reference.

Al Ross II
chubb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2005 at 5:25pm

cheers

Ive tryed to find a copy of that book, still no joy! some one said to me that it was goin to be reprinted? any no any thing?

cheers

kelowna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelowna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2005 at 5:46pm
Ref the Fairmile D book, I just ordered at Amazon co.uk,its just been reprinted. like you I am researching.
GMK
chubb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2005 at 7:04pm

cheers r have a look

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2005 at 2:15pm
Fibre glass hull available from Kingston Mouldings tel/fax01202744716.Please let me know if you find good source for fittings.
Mikeg8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeg8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:06am

An almost complete set of fittings for a 1/24th scale D type is available from Precision Controls.  They (he?) doesn't have a web-site but the fittings set can be ordered through Westbourne Models in Poole, Dorset.  Westbourne will ship pretty much anywhere in the world.  If you have a look on Westbourne's web-site (Google it, I can't remember the URL) I think it lists the fittings for the D type there.  They can also supply shafts, A and P frames too.

Mike

Mikeg8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeg8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:35am
I am building a 1/24th scale Fairmile D.  I got a hull from Kingston Mouldings, partial fittings set from Precision Controls, running gear from Sitek, all through Westbourne Models.  I also got plans from John Lambert.  I reckoned on 6 months of evenings and weekends.  That was last November and now I still haven't finished the superstructure or got the deck on yet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic