BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Trust
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motor Launches of WW2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorboat 247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motor Launches of WW2
    Posted: 11 April 2005 at 8:12pm

My Dad served  in the RASC 247 coy motorboats in Africa and Italy during WW2. In his pay book it  has laocation as  M.L.196  I`m assuming ML stands  for motorlaunch but is there a launch with the  number   196  or might there  be a website  which might list this

Regards

Kevin

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2005 at 8:50pm

Hello Kevin

I'm going to stick my neck out here: There was an ML196, (A Fairmile "B" class) that was built in 1941. It was sold out of service in 1947 (By then re-numbered 2196) to the Norwich Sea Cadets who named her "Lord Nelson". Whether that is the same craft that your Dad served on I couldn't say but maybe someone can enlighten us further?

Regards

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
motorboat 247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorboat 247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 10:21am

Hi Pioneer

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated  I`ll see if your info leads me anywhere. Ive set  down  a little more background  information. Perhaps it might jog a few memories

The RASC fleet Originally the War Department Fleet (some called it the "frogotten Fleet") went from 70 vessels in 1939 to 1,400 in 1945 The called for volunteers from all arms and mostly took people with some sea experience. Dad  was in the merchant navy since he was 14 a so logical move for him.

In 1940 the force was known as No`s 1 and 2  motor boat companies and stationed at Salcomb and Falmouth they had 40  launches each. By end  of 1942 they had 3 companies and No 2 coy  was  re numbered 247 They were assigned to operation Torch in North Africa They worked  with the CMF including supplying special forces (SBS and SAS ) in Yugoslavia corsica Albania, Sardinia, greece and Italy

In Oct 1943  247coy  formed 3 water transport companies 797 798  and  801  Dad was posted to 797 coy in Jan44 before returning to 247 in Sept 45

HQ was established at Torre del Greco near naples And Bari  797 also serviced the Adriatic out of Ancona also operated small craft out of Venice

If anyone has any further information on any of this I would be ever grateful for any snippets of information

Many thanks

Kevin

Dan Page View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Page Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 10:04pm
My grandfather, Thomas Herbert Page was also in 247th Motor Boat Company, serving in the CMF. I have pictures of Tunisia and him and his mates on a beach in Salonika. I would be willing to share these to see if you know anyone on there.
We are awaiting his service record so that might yield some extra info.
Daniel Page
Dan Page View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Page Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 10:06pm
Sorry forgot to say he served on the ST Alvaiazere, hopefully spelt correctly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorboat 247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2013 at 3:35pm
Hi Daniel

great to hear from someone after all these years. Idf be delighted to take a look at the photos. Ive  got  some myself  somewhere.  I`ll dig them out.  ive  gots  lots of  info on the italy  campaign too if yoru  interested.

Regards 

Kevin
pagey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pagey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 10:21am

hi kevin,

i see you have met daniel,  my son. we are doing family research between us,. i have  some imformation on my fathers war record and have sent of to glasgow for the full record, (i hope) but it could take up to a year to get it. the imformation i have is that he was attached to 51st heavy reg. (ra) BEF 1939-1940. and that he was company sergeant major with 247 motorboat coy, that is all i have apart from the photos i have of tripoli, scicily greece and italy, i do know he was in yugoslavia from what he told me when i was a kid. Daniel will upload the photos for you to see as i have no skanner. i did reply to you on WW2Talk a few weeks ago. regards Richard Page
Dan Page View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Page Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2013 at 3:45pm
Thomas Herbert Page on left with an unknown colleague. 247th MBC.
Dan Page View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Page Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2013 at 3:48pm
T H Page front right

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorboat 247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2013 at 7:07pm
Hi Dan and Daniel

Sorry Ive not  replied as  yet  with  any photos.  I was  excited to find someone  who`s  dad  had  served  with the 247 coy but time has  flown by.

I`m  having trouble uploading the  images  I have, perhaps i could send them via email If you could send me an address via Sawdoc999@aol.com I will send.

as mentioned I have  done quite  bit  of  research on the  subject  and I dont  know  where  to begin with  any info. i do know  you may  be  disappointed  with what they  send  from army  records. sometimes its  just  basic  information.  I  got  more  from the national archives  records office at  Kew.  tbhey  have the  war  diaries  there of 247 and the other  motor boat companies.  It  might  be  worth a  visit.  I have  brought  photocopies  back  with  me  but never really had the  time to sift  through them in detail.

If  you have any  general  questions I`ll be  glad to try  and  answer them. Im from the liverpool  area not  sure  how  far  away  you are  but  we  can correspond  in  email

Best regards

Kevin  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic