BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > 43957 & 441341
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boat paints

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuthatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat paints
    Posted: 24 June 2008 at 9:01pm

Hi can any one me?

Ive got a 1944 MSPB double dia mahogany planking... on one side I need to go back to the bare wood (linseed oil?) as the planks are starting to dry out... I then need to primer, under coat and top coat. Im looking to go back to her orginal battle ship grey or as close as possible,  i.e. International's "Atlantic grey"?

The other side just needs to be knocked back, under coated and then topcoat... can any one help me as to the best paint to use as there seems to be a lot out there, where to get the said paint?

cheersSmile

Paul Hopley
clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 10:45am
Try this wbsite..
there is loads of info. Alternatively find your nearest dealer and get the best advice off them.
masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 10:47am
Sorry forgo to put click on the 'boat  painters guide'
masbie something in the water.   www.freewebs.com/masb32/
barnacle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 11:29am
casting my mind back to my time in the paint shop at Mount Batten

bare wood - raw linseed oil, then 'Silverene' (aluminium for wood), then Light Grey u/c (2 coats) and finally topped off with Light Grey t/c 3 coats.

For underwater areas the undercoats would be replaced by 'Admar chocolate' and then finished off with red anti-fouling
Nuthatch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuthatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2008 at 6:47pm

Hi thanks for your reply,

So its raw linseed oil, primer is silverene? wot is it and where can one get it? or is there any thing as good as?

Sorry to be not very knowledgeable about this, but I'm kind of new to this...

Cheers

Smile

Paul Hopley
barnacle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 10:01am
'Silverene' was the trade name of the paint we used in the RAF.. basically it was just an aluminium for wood primer.
A quick google has shown that Crown Paints do an 'aluminium wood primer' so maybe a visit to your local B&Q/Homebuild/building supplies store* will produce the stuff for you

All the best

* delete as required
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic