BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Brave Class
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brave Challenger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 4:53pm
I think she looked "racier" with the white topside, but still a nice boat to own
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 4:40pm

Hello

Here  are  a  few  photos  that  I  took  of  Brave  Challenger  a  couple  of  years  ago  at  Portsmouth.

Regard

Edited by Danny
tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 4:34pm
I read in the maritime press some time ago that the owner had bought the two hovercraft for their engines and understood she was coming out for a overhaul this year and mentioned it on this forum, since then I understood she had been put up for sale, is that correct? she is a very nice boat and another Vosper classic. The brother who was killed in the air crash (Ormond) if I remember correctly owned a number of lightnings but was out of the R.A.F. when he crashed in a piston engined types like a mustang/sea fury but I stand to be corrected on that.
exboater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 2:39pm

Hi, thought I would add a few bit to this as I am the son of an ex-business associate of the current owner.  The yacht as you know is owned by Prof. Wensley Haydon-Baillie who bought it in the 90s.  When he originally purchased the yacht he had to have auxillary engines fitted as the RYC Portsmouth complained that it was too fast in the harbour, (it would not cruise below around 8-10 knots.) 

He actually bought it from Peter De Savory who owned Littlecote House in Hungerford for a while and turned it into a theme park.  It would seem that the engines are in need of an overhaul and Prof Haydon-Baillie has purchased the Princess Anne and Princess Margaret hovercrafts at a cost of £500k, which apparently have similar engines and could be used for spare parts. 

Incidently he also used to own a Lightning aircraft which he kept on his front lawn, (I believe his brother was tragically killed in an aircrash while flying one for the RAF.)

The blue the yacht is now painted is his own corporate livery which he uses for his letter head as well his helicopter..!

There hope this is of use..!

Andy
portsmouth-lad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote portsmouth-lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2006 at 5:19pm

I can confirm that Brave Challenger was sitting at her usual berth at Gunwharf, Portsmouth yesterday evening.  She does not in any way look as though she is almost 45 years old - rather she still looks amazingly contemporary.

Cresta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cresta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2006 at 11:47am
Originally posted by ewapytlarz ewapytlarz wrote:

I'm looking for any informations and photos of Brave Challenger. My boyfriend is doing a model of taht yacht and we need plans, photos or any other historical informations.

Get one of the 'victory' models, they pop up on ebay from time to time. use that as a template, it comes with internal diagrams etc.    (look at mad malc's web site)

Any news on whats happening to Brave challenger now ? Much speculation on-line

ewapytlarz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewapytlarz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2005 at 10:26am

I'm looking for any informations and photos of Brave Challenger. My boyfriend is doing a model of taht yacht and we need plans, photos or any other historical informations.

Ewa
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 9:54am

Two interesting shots of Fast Yacht "Mercury", as built by Messrs Vosper Ltd in the early 60's for Stavros Nairchos, the Greek shipping magnate. With a third shot taken long after, having been by then, sold on to Italian- Roberto Memmo- and then on to Wensley Hayden Bailey. Now sporting an enclosed Bridge structure and renamed "Brave Challenger" this is broadly how she appears today but an all over paint scheme that she now wears does tend to alter her appearance even more drastically. The beautiful lines of a military "Brave" type of Hull can still just be glimpsed. Leaving out personal opinions, it is surprising how much a paint scheme can alter such a beautiful craft.

Working up to speed and showing a 'Tingle' above the Port Chine (A similar repair is shown on the Starboard side in another shot) Showing that a slight mishap can easily be repaired to this "Ferocity" style of build Hull.

The Cockpit of Fast Yacht "Mercury" showing the 'Concord' style of Joystick (Helm) also the control levers for the three "Proteus" Gas Turbine engines.

"Brave Challenger" off The Needles. Now sporting the enclosed Bridge, this attractive paint paint scheme has been altered to an 'all over', slightly Lighter Blue, including the lower Chine and Deck Topsides. These three pictures courtesy of Charles Du Cane. 

Edited by Pioneer
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 10:12am

Many thanks Crusade for that information. I was a little confused as I could not find any reference in my own library to an 'HMS' Brave Challenger, obviously it was never a Royal Naval craft.

We live and learn, as they say,

Edited by Pioneer
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
cducane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cducane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 8:49am
Brave Challenger was built at Vosper as a high speed yacht for Stavros Niarchos in about 1960. Her original name was Mercury. She was sold some years later to an Italian named Roberto Memmo who eventually sold her to Wensley Hayden Bailey. It was Hayden Bailey who changed her name to Brave Challenger. She is still to be seen in Portsmouth harbour some times at Gunwharf and sometimes at Gosport. Her design was based on the "Brave Class" and like them powered by 3 Proteus. She has achieved speeds of 60 knots and perhaps plus.
crusade
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic