Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Dark Class
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dark Hero

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dark Hero
    Posted: 16 July 2008 at 9:05am
P1115 getting her tail wet for the first time - launch day at Messrs Mc Gruer March 16th 1957.

Edited by Pioneer - 16 July 2008 at 9:08am
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 9:54am
Pioneer, nice shot, but the Dark's alway's look as if they have had a few feet chopped off the stern , There are short boats and really short boats the Dark's seem to fall in to the latter
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 11:51am

Yes 'tramontana', she was an ugly duckling (as the whole class, to my eyes) design by 'committee'? But did she really deserve to end her days looking like this? Target at Portland

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 1:00pm
Hi there,

Very interesting above, take it there are no more about? was there one in America? posted a while back, indeed looks a bit odd but another piece of our post war marine naval heritage, oh well, don't get me started.

JohnK
tramontana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tramontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 3:14pm
That IS the question, should "old Warhorses" be sunk as Targets or scrapped if they can't be preserved. Answer's on Basildon Bond paper please.
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 3:25pm
You've probably started something here 'tramontana'. With our misty eyes clouded with nostalgia we tend to forget that these craft were the 'killing machines' of their day.
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 4:48pm
Well.....perhaps better used for something or re-cycled, indeed these vessels were "killing machines" I guess, albeit I don't think these were used in anger, also I guess who is the target comes into it, ie S130 causes some dis-quiet among some people and I can understand thier point of view, but I do feel that if these vessels and other military machinery is presented in a proper way, it is valid, adverts on the local TV here for the War and Peace show in Kent, no problem with seeing the kit but some of the re-enacments not my personal cup of tea.

JohnK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic