BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > High Speed Launches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoration Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 10:13am
Hi a76njk,

I heard back from a guy in Stockholm.  He's got 3 1978 Mercedes 938hp V8 Diesels with gearboxes for sale.  He sent me a bunch of photos of them.   They look immaculate.

2 have 3000 hours at €20,000 (euros) each.
1 New at €30,000 (euros)

For all 3 engines the price is 55 000 Eur.

Drop me an email to don@rania.co.uk & I'll email the photos & contact details if you want.

Cheers

Don

Only a number, not even a name. How shall posterity hear of thy fame?
a76njk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a76njk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 4:15pm

Thanks Don,

We are though seeking around the 1500hp mark so these are a bit on the small side. I does show however that the engines are out there, its just a matter of finding them and negotiating the right price. Also V12s will be the best configuration as the engine sound will match the original. Semi-beggers however cannot be choosers and if the correctly priced V8s or V16s turn up then sobeit.

If the chap in Stockholm has anything bigger though let me know.

Cheers

A76njk

AndyS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 11:33am
A76njk

Which type of boat is yours and what is your projected final displacement / target speed? Will this be in calm sheltered waters or open water?

This will affect the your choice greatly, as engine weight will have an impact on overall resistance from the ability to lift onto the plane and the planing angle.

MGB81's engines are reasonably light, but the gear boxes are heavier than original, but the package works out very well.

Regards
AndyS
dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 9:07pm
Hi All

See ebay for a TWO  Paxman Engines V12 with gearboxes with a buy it now price of £2000 for BOTH.  Seem bloody big but for an RTTL.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160 005111667&fromMakeTrack=true#ebayphotohosting

Specs at:
http://www.nelmes.fsnet.co.uk/paxman/paxeng34.htm#yh

I'll post this on other forums just in case.

Cheers

Don

a76njk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a76njk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2006 at 3:47pm

Hello AndyS,

The boat is RTTL 2751. Her military weight loaded was in the 50 ton area. A lot of the military equipment has been removed and a comfortable living area with two cabins and two heads were installed very neatly in the 70's together with a 20ft galley. The actual weight with two adequately sized Diesels will still probably top the 50 ton mark so theoretically the same speed should be achievable as in service, about 38kts, albeit with a more aft trim. She is however a 50 year old lady and unless conditions are perfect there will be a speed limit imposed of 30 kts.

A76NJK

AndyS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2006 at 6:59pm
A76NJK
What length is she? do you know who built her and when?, and Have you measured the draughts (and/or freeboards) recently to get an idea of what she weighs now? reducing the installed machinery weight and fuel load from the original spec, but maintaining a suitable effective planing angle at the new draught will make her easier (and cheaper) to run. Have you measured the draught (and/or freeboard) recently so that you know accurately what her current weight and CoG is and can make an estimate of her completed weight based on your refurbishment plan. That will allow a better understanding of what power you will need to be looking for for your target speed. Also what transmission gear is still installed, props/shafts/boxes and rudders etc.
Best regards
Andy
a76njk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a76njk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2006 at 10:33am

AndyS,

She is currently fitted with a pair of Cummins 215hp Diesels with V-drive tx. The steering gear has been overhauled and reconnected and a recent survey commissioned. She passed the survey with flying colours with obviously some remedial work but essentially she is in a very sound condition. There are some screws used where rivets should have been fitted and some timber work to address. Also the cabin layout below will be redesigned to allow easier access as currently there is only a near vertical ladder step from the cockpit unless entry is gained through the engine room.

New or reconditioned engines are being looked at now. MTU's are looking promising but I really do want the power plants to be contra-rotating to prevent heel under way. The engines may have to be positioned somewhat further forward for weight distribution purposes as they weigh probably four times as much as the original. But there are a whole series of decisions to be made, each one depending on the previous change made. I'll keep posting as developments are made, although she will be moving from her current position under her own power very soon. This I suspect will be the first time in many years that a Mk1b RTTL will move under its own power.

PS She is 68' by 19'.6'' and built by Vosper in 1956.

A76NJK

dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 9:42pm
Hi A76NJK,
I have to ask. Is 'A76NJK' your car regristration number!

Cheers
Don

Don

a76njk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a76njk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 12:54pm

Don,

Yes! Or rather was.

dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2006 at 7:42pm

http://www.boatsandoutboards.com/view/F99992/

One pair V12 Deutz marine engines 850HP fitted with Mason gearboxes.

No price listed.

Don

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic