BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Gay Class Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P1041 The Archer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zagreusfilms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P1041 The Archer
    Posted: 23 April 2005 at 3:35pm

We are producing a short documentary about the rebuilding and initial sailing of the aforesaid vessel.

We would be extremely grateful if anyone could either supply or suggest the operational history of this vessal and the veterans who operated on it. We would like to both interview them and invite them to revisit the boat.

I can be contacted on 07974 954 978, geoffmarriott@zagreusfilms.com

www.zagreusfilms.com

Edited by zagreusfilms
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2005 at 9:14am

The ex- "Gay Archer" still making progress at its base in Nth West England.

Edited by Pioneer
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2005 at 3:58pm
ex-HMS Gay Archer should be in the water some time this week-watch for an up date here
Reverend Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reverend Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2005 at 1:37pm
Ted, what does the Archer currently have for power??
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2005 at 2:54pm

Hello Bob

Currently as I write Mr Archer has no engines fitted. There are 2 Detroit Diesels awaiting fitting (with an output I'm told of 600hp each). They are to be fitted after the launch so as to reduce weight during the initial lift off its cradle where she has been sat for the last 15 years or so. There were no 'creaks or groans' during an initial lift trial I'm told and I hope to be there when the launch 'proper takes place during this week. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Reverend Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reverend Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2005 at 4:34am

G'day Ted!!

The best thing for Her is to float again, I sure can respect the work this fellow is taking on, no small task indeed! Soaking up Her Hull, keeping her pumped out, watching the packings on the shafts and rudders, and take care what 80'?? of waterline?? How many are involved with this project?? The Engines sound like the right size I think P-520 engines are rated a 600 hp. Once she's under power, she'll live again. Does she have fuel tanks installed??

She'll need alot of systems brought up snuff. When and where is she being launched?? And when will you be going up to see Her Ted??

When I was younger we owned a 63' ASR built in 1944 by Harbor boat works, (one of the smaller sisters of P-520) and she still had a pair of Gasoline burning Hall-Scott invaders which gave her a cruising speed of about 25 knots, this was back when 32 cents bought a Gallon of  fuel at the fuel dock.  Dad later sold her to a fellow who installed a pair of 240 hp GM 671 diesels reporting to us that he got about 10-12 knots with her. and didn't need to have anyone standing by in the engine room to shift in and out of gear when docking.

But the ASR is a another Story.

Cheers

Bob   

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2005 at 10:04am

Hello Bob

This whole endeavour has largely been down to one man and a 'helper' but there have been a lot of really practical 'goodwill' gestures etc made by several individuals taken up with his obvious enthusiasm. He literally 'lives' on the job with most waking hours at work or involved in the return of 'Archer to near its former Naval appearance.

As far as precise dates and times of the 'launch'- - these have been 'set' then moved on by 'circumstances' as they 'appeared'. Undaunted-he rises to the challenge and so the date is simply moved- (and there have been many such dates made and moved) but his enthusiasm remains undented. He now is finally at a time when the Hull is secure enough to have the final test (hopefully this weekend).

Most Bridge controls are fitted I'm told, while the fuel tanks are there, and, like the power plants, they have not yet been fitted to reduce the initial 'lift' weight. I would think that most of the towns populace will witness this important occasion as the craft has certainly gained a local reputation as "that navy boat". It is now sporting its military Pennant number (P1041) on the for'ard Hull sides (having to gain permission it seems from 'higher up').

The water line is around 65ft- she is 70ft6in overall- being a Vosper 'Short Boat'. She is currently not fitted with the Transom Flaps.

Fingers crossed for this weekend. I will let you know how it developes

Regards 

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 9:41am

Well here is the proof that one mans dream has taken a giant further step. ex-HMS Gay Archer afloat on the 27th August 2005.

'nuff said

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2005 at 10:44am

Another glimpse of ex HMS Gay Archer - August 2005

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2005 at 4:26pm

Another great step for Paul Childs. This shot shows ex-HMS Gay Archer 'turned around' and ready for the first firing of the Port Motor which occurred shortly after the picture was taken it also shows the chassis of the Mk 3 Bofor Gun fitted less barrel.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic