BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Target Towing Launches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1100 Marine Craft Unit, Alness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christiaan Phillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1100 Marine Craft Unit, Alness
    Posted: 24 January 2009 at 7:34pm
Is there anyone out here who can offer any information on 1100 RAF Alness from 1962/1965 or there about. My father was R1921163 TED Phillips or his wife, Tina Phillips. TTL 2757 was the marine craft involved were he was the radio operator. I do have some pictures of the boat itself, but am desperate to have more info on that time in Alness and the guys he served with.
Many thanks
Christiaan Phillips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christiaan Phillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2009 at 7:47am
This request also relates to anymore info also on TTL 2757 please, some photographs I already have, the main one being of her anchored under Tower Bridge in London. 
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2009 at 9:37pm
Hi Chris,

Can't offer anything myself but come to the right place, many people with a great deal of knowleged on the forum, welcome aboard.

Johnk
Christiaan Phillips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christiaan Phillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 5:59pm
Thanks Johnk.
I have in my possession a  Royal Air Force Marine Craft News letter, dated 1964, which I believe is the only one of its kind on record. This relates to the crews and "outing" the launches made from 1100 MCU/Alness. In it there is a long entry made by Flt.Lt. T Fryirs who was the skipper of TTL 2757 and describes the launches visit on Battle of Britain week to Lerwick. The crew at the time were as follows:
Cox'n F/S Rab "The Poacher" Howitt,
M. Cox'n Sgt. Larry Parkes
S Mar. Fitt Ch.Tech. Tex Weldon
Mar Fitt. J.T Geordie Gibbon
W. OP Cpl Ted Phillips
M.B.C  SAC. Bob Murray
M.B.C  SAC. "Tubs" Bowen
(Cook)
M.B.C. SAC. "Burglar" Cruickshank ( would love to know how he gained the nickname?)
Am happy to photocopy and forward them on to those interested. i have also some other bits and pieces as well as some colour slides of 2757. Am hoping to have these put onto the PC (when I know how) and therefore enable others to enjoy. Great pictures of her on full throttle. If anyone should wish to contact me via email directly, christiaan.jan@ntlworld.com
There are other names under the title of Movements of Personnel :
Flt Lt G.E.F. Hubbard.................... from Gan
Ch. Tech J. Graves (Mar.Fitt.)........from North Front
Sgt. G. Nicolini Cox'n Q-MC-M........from North Front
Sgt. S.L. Varnham Cox'n............... from North Front
Cpl. L.T Mulberry Cox'n..................from Gan
Cpl. B.J. Harnetty (Mar.Fit..............from Muharraq
SAC C. Bowen M.B.C......................from Butterworth
SAC D. Bruce M.B.C........................from Butterworth
LAC A.J. Shepherd M.B.C.................from Butterworth
Hope these names and those others will jog a few memories?

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 9:30pm
Hi Christiaan,

Many thanks for the above, always great to hear about the RAF marine branch, a great service, pity it was dis-banded. Had a friend who served in WW2, told how they would go OVER minefields, with other craft flashing signals at them, of course thier draft was such they were OK, also ran into a port, saw a load of guys sitting on the wall, got close, realised they were Germans! but very near end of the war and they did nothing, my friend just turned around and went away!

Johnk
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 10:00pm
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2009 at 8:37pm

Hi Christian again,

Great photos, where were the two ashore? clearly on display with a fence and picnic table! hear that the GSP 1137, same number as HDML Medusa and slipped in the same yard a while back, is not in to good a shape, pity.....

Johnk
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 9:48am
Hi John

GSP1387 is looking a little tatty but I don't think she's in any danger.
Brian Mutton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Mutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 7:44am
Hi Christiaan
I was at Alness earlier than the time you talk of but 2757 was there then. I was the fitter on 57 for a while, collected the launch from Calshot Southampton in  Jan 1958 and we sailed her to Alness on her maiden voyage. i did 2 trips to Lerwick, in 1957 with 2679 and 1958 with 2757. great times. I have written a book about those days which will be available soon, lots of photos of 2757 and others.
MBC444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBC444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2013 at 10:16pm
I was at Alness later I am afraid 1971 then 1974 to 1977.
Regards

EX RAF Marine Craft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic