BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Dark Class
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dark Class Illustration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2006 at 11:55pm

I served in Dark Antagonist and Dark Hunter as 2nd Coxswain. Both boats were SO 1st FPB Squadron Dark Hunter paying off in August 1957 as part of defence cuts. I was also trials and ferry crew Coxswain of Dark Highwayman. Major problems for the Class was screw cavitation (120 hours new 60 Hours retreads), buckling of frames in the forepeak and stiff steering over 10 degrees of wheel. This latter was solved by Vospers on Highwayman by offsetting the twin rudders.

rayw
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2006 at 8:02pm

Hello Ray - Welcome aboard.

I too was a member of a Ferry Crew (7th) between 1954-55 - (we then went on to 'Commission' Gay Dragoon.) I - being a lowly ER rating - can only remember the problems that were first experienced by the Deltic Engines of the Dark's - 'Antagonist I remember as being one chosen for several engine mods by the Napier engineers - I remember a fellow National Service rating on board 'Antagonist who had been under training on HMS Alaunia at the same time as me. As a 'Ferry Crew' we delivered T201 (Burmese all alloy Dark) to Weymouth for its onward shipment (as Deck Cargo) to Rangoon. The problems that you describe with the Hull Frames and Steering gear were endemic for the whole class and was also still being experienced by the Italian Customs when they acquired 6 off the RN - Good old day's? -

Regards

Ted

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
cofrada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cofrada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2006 at 5:04am

in 1970 Dark Buccanneer, was in Marsaxlokk Malta, if memory serves me correctly, it was in wet storage at Sliema and was disposed of to a civilian buyer, who towed it to the south of Malta.

The fitters at  RAF 1151 MCU  at Malta got it started for him, by purloining a couple of Plessey cartridge starters and cartridges from the unit.

last we heard it headed for N Africa.

Colin

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2006 at 10:23pm

Hello Colin,

The Dark classes were to wander all around the World but it seems that none now exist - The Japanese took delivery of one - Italy 6 - Burma 5 - Finland 2 while it was rumoured that Libya showed an interest as well. The trail of 2 supposedly lying in Scotland has gone cold - I wonder if the one that the RAF got started went to Libya? We now know that the 2 that were lying high and dry in Malta have been scrapped - quite recently too -2002 - but you can never really be sure - maybe one will turn up somewhere (fingers crossed)

Regards

Ted

Edited by Pioneer
Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2006 at 7:02pm

Hi all

Interstingly I was in Crete a couple of years ago and found a builders model of a Dark Class in their Maritime Museum. It looked very much like one that used to be on show in HORNET. Either in the Office Block or the Wardroom Lobby. Staff on duty could give me no idea of its significance or how it came to be there..

rayw
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2006 at 7:31pm

Hello Ray,

You wouldn't have the model's pennant number would you? - The reason I ask is that Dave Abbot - professional model builder for some magazines etc - made a superb scratch build model of P1101 HMS Dark Adventurer, this model was sold a few years ago at Christies for a 4 figure sum - might it be the one?

Regards Ted

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2006 at 8:24pm

Hi Ted

Here it is;

http://www.lutonmodelboat.co.uk/gallery_dark.html

It is EXCELLENT.

Regards,Christian.

E.S.ChildsDrum1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.S.ChildsDrum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2006 at 10:08pm

Hello Christian.

Was this a working model or just an ornament for show only.

Also where can I get hold of the drawings as I would like to make a Dark Class the next model after I have conpleted the Gay Charger in about a year`s time

Ted Drum1.

E.S.Childs
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2006 at 8:24am

Hi Ted

A very good question, I had assumed working just because it is pictured on the water. Perhaps the secretary of Luton Model Boat Club will know. Regarding plans, I too would like a set so hopefully between us we can find something. I have tried to get in touch with Dave Abbott through John Cundell but with no joy.

On another note, what did you make of the contraption on the bows of the Vosper?

Regards,Christian. 

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2006 at 8:41am

Hello Ted and Christian,

The Sec of Luton Boat Club is Mr Graham Rumble. The model of the Dark was(is) a sailing model - I shall be visiting the Club on Thursday week and will ask Dave Abbot to contact you both via e-mail - he is the Club's President/Chairman.

I understand that he paid quite a large sum to the Greenwich Museum for a copy of the original plans - he photographed various stages in the building of his model - I shall try and persuade him to share them with us.

Regards

Edited by Pioneer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic