BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Target Towing Launches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ex RTTL 2770

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by muffdiver muffdiver wrote:

D2770 many thanks again for the recent pictures, they are priceless for the history of the vessel i quite agree the old traditional navy log was the best way to log the main engines,on the hour every hour and better than any mechanical meter reading, i am having difficulty reducing my HQ pics below 50 mb to upload to this web site, do you want me to e mail them PM,if so please let me know.
ps my handle is not as bad as you think !!!!
i have two versions of the above and are good at both !!!!
regards
Muff diver
Sure, PM the photographs to me. I am interested to see what of our design changes have survived the test of time and new owner requirement.

Many thanks.
2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 12:39pm
2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 12:36pm
2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 12:34pm
Of any interest?

2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 11:30am
The props at 24x24 proved just fine.Giving an average of 12 - 15 knots O.T.G from memory. The sailing,machinery and diving compressor logs were all up to date when we parted company with her and should have been in the navigation case we passed on to the new owner, including machinery / electrical kit info manuals.. Consultation of the sailing logs will give the exact revs and speed achieved.... Please remember, we are well over 20 years on from her refit by us and I have done a mighty lot of sea miles since. 

Needless to say the props were handed.Those props were "Cut-Downs". The original size could still be on the boss as I cannot remember if they were re-stamped with the new size by the supplier. Had the originals been 24-25 pitch and handed we would have machined those down instead of replacing. However,although it can be done with difficulty, a pitch change was not an option.
 She could go harder at it depending on wind, tide and engine revolutions. However, I have never been one for caning main engines needlessly.1500 - 1800 RPM being just dandy. Without teaching others how to suck eggs,If you work the wind and tide to your advantage then the revs can be dropped considerably.

I have a personal strong dislike of twin or triple mono-directional props on hard chine planing / semi planing hulls, having been "Adhered" to the harbor walls and unable to paddle wheel off in gale force winds a few times. They were also quite useless on 2770 for our chosen work. Something which really surprised me, we offered Hendon all of the discarded fittings, machinery and electrical kit. Including the original RT. They declined the offer. 
rafwebfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafwebfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 8:11am
many thanks 2770 for the recunstruction pics and details.  How did she perform with the smaller props?  When in service she would have been fitted with 33" x 37.5" L/H props. which must have been a wee bit excessive for civilian use and unsuitable for anything other than the RR Sea Griffons.
FAIR WINDS AND A FAVOURABLE TIDE
Donald
muffdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 2:11am
D2770 many thanks again for the recent pictures, they are priceless for the history of the vessel i quite agree the old traditional navy log was the best way to log the main engines,on the hour every hour and better than any mechanical meter reading, i am having difficulty reducing my HQ pics below 50 mb to upload to this web site, do you want me to e mail them PM,if so please let me know.
ps my handle is not as bad as you think !!!!
i have two versions of the above and are good at both !!!!
regards
Muff diver
Best Regards Charlie
2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 12:16pm
Re-fit completed. Time taken - 11 months from purchase to launch. Cost to us at the time, minus purchase price, $49000.00 CAD.or thereby.

That's the last of the surviving photographs which I can find, if I find more I will post them. Somewhere there is a video diary covering most of her refit, ensuing boat work and re-enlistment venues for the USN. If I find it I will have it converted to DVD and post it online.

I do hope my info has been useful. Perhaps even filling a hazy chapter in the history of ex-2770 (Canadian Osprey)
2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 12:09pm
Below, forward section at time of purchase.

2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 11:11am
[QUOTE=muffdiver]
 by hell the hour meters must have been around the clock twice over.
..........................................................................................................................................

Hi again Muffdiver. ( I have to laugh when I write your handle ).

On the machinery hour counters. We did not fit those,we did have some static bolt-on counters which worked by measuring vibration but they were never fitted. Only the harbor generator had one when we had Canadian Osprey, and that proved to be unreliable.

It is always better to work on recorded log times for maintenance than rely on vibro-counters.. By their very nature they tend to vibrate to destruction prematurely.

...........................................................................................................................................

Another point needing to be cleared up. I never re-named ex-2770 as Canadian Osprey, my late mother did.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic