BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Target Towing Launches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ex RTTL 2770

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2010 at 4:31pm
yes the smiths heating system doe's still work and still as hot as hell and the vessel is still afloat but looking very sorry for herself as she has been laid up for a number of years, i agree with you 2770, there is too much speculation on this site, however if you require some recent pics of your old tender please e mail me.

cheers
Best Regards Charlie
rafwebfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafwebfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 8:57pm
regarding my mis-informed history of 2770, I can only apologise for my mistakes.  This was put together some years ago and what is even worse is that I actually received an e-mail from 2770 himself back in the early 2000s but for some reason did not update my records.  THIS HAS NOW BEEN DONE.  I remember the boat very well as both she and 2757 were at Portrush with me.  The Navy wanted a fast dispatch boat for the Clyde and  thankfully they were persuaded to take 2770. (they originally wanted 2757 but as she was the better boat we did not want to lose her).    Imagine my surprise when many years after leaving Portrush I spotted a Naval RTTL in the Great Dock at Greenock.  She could only have been 2770 and when I saw her name board - OSPREY, this confirmed it.  I have done my best to keep tabs on her since then (along with most surviving RAF craft).  I would welcome some update  pics especially of her interior Muffdiver and in return I would send you what I have on her RAF history.  I did this for her previous owner so perhaps it was passed on with the boat (along with AP.4225B her manual)  2770 was the penultimate 68ft RTTL built for the RAF and is now one of the only seven remaining.  Her sister 2771 was last seen  laid up in Malta a few years back after serving with the Maltese Coastguard as C.71.  These were the only two RTTLs built by Saunders & Roe.
FAIR WINDS AND A FAVOURABLE TIDE
Donald
2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 4:47pm
Canadian Osprey (ex-2770) At refitting.

2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 9:26pm

New weather deck.

2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 10:11pm
Starting the teardown.

2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 10:43pm
Original engine room cleared of all mechanical and electrical kit in preparation to convert it for accommodation.

2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 11:11pm
Engine room to fuel tank space bulkhead. V Drives removed and our design flood-proof through boxes in place and coupled up to the original shafts.

2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 11:42pm
Original avgas tank space converted to new engine room.. Tanks, fuel systems and Halon fire extinguishing system removed. Twin Bed/GM's and Perkins generator in place.

When removing the fire extinguishing system the bloody thing went off, filling all the below deck space with Halon gas. It took two days before it dispersed to a safe level. One upside advantage, it killed every bug on board.

muffdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 1:03am
many thanks for recent posting of pictures during Osprey's refit,yes the GM Bedford 477 main engines and Perkins genny are still there and found the halon tank mountings,in the bilges and the fuel tanks are some size.
is it true ? that the old girl sailed from home port through the Med to the Aegean sea, to the Gulf of Oman, around the South African coast to the Azores across the the US of A,up to Canada and back to home port Glasgow, if she did i wish i had of been on that trip. by hell the hour meters must have been around the clock twice over. but the heater is still hot as hell !!!!
i will sort out some recent pictures try and shrink them and forward them on somehow either direct or through rafwebfoot.

cheers
muff diver
Best Regards Charlie
2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 9:27am
Hi there muffdiver ( thats a great handle you have lol ).

Any government Baltic Exchange contract denies you the ability to discuss its requirements. However, I can say that Canadian Osprey went the distance, as they say, when in our charge.

Northern waters, as always, proving the most challenging.

Her home port as registered was Norfolk, Virginia, United States.  

In fact, because of an oversight on our part, we did not remove her from the register until 2005. So technically she was still an American small ship (under 100 tons) when in Mr Aspey's ownership.

The Boat Owners Association of the United States, Boat/US, knows of her under my membership.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic