BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Target Towing Launches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ex RTTL 2770

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by muffdiver muffdiver wrote:

D2770 many thanks again for the recent pictures, they are priceless for the history of the vessel i quite agree the old traditional navy log was the best way to log the main engines,on the hour every hour and better than any mechanical meter reading, i am having difficulty reducing my HQ pics below 50 mb to upload to this web site, do you want me to e mail them PM,if so please let me know.
ps my handle is not as bad as you think !!!!
i have two versions of the above and are good at both !!!!
regards
Muff diver
Sure, PM the photographs to me. I am interested to see what of our design changes have survived the test of time and new owner requirement.

Many thanks.
2770 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 3:50pm
Addendum.

If anyone wonders how we actually found ex-2770.

...We were looking for a vessel of between 70 - 100 ft for conversion, and capable of enduring long sea passages if required. We had been over in Europe inspecting quite a few, some commercial and some pleasure craft, of which two seemed suitable for purpose both by price and being reasonably sea worthy. On return we stopped over in London, staying at the Union Jack club. An old Marine buddy of mine was also staying there and on hearing we were on the hunt showed us an advertisement, just a few simple lines without a photograph of a boat for sale.

We decided to have a look at her. She was in an absolutely atrocious state, dried out with hull seams agape, covered in guano, grime and earmarked for burning if she did not sell quickly. We liked her from first sight although she was slightly smaller than our target size and built of wood rather than steel, our preferred hull material. We gave the seller his demanded deposit on the spot. I guess he had decided that having such crazy fools on the hook by buying into such a dilapidated boat required a deposit, just in case we changed our minds. How little he knew of us,nor our intentions.

Anyway, how could we possibly pass on her as my father had been Wartime marine craft for a time after being wounded in North Africa. He returned to flying squadrons being declared "now fit for flying". However,he never forgot his fine time in the ASR's. He remained a member of both the Air Force Association (overseas branch) and A.S.R /M.C.S club until his passing.

Well, that is how we found ex-2770.  Or alternatively in some strange way did she possibly find us?...If you believe in fate that is. 
rafwebfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafwebfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 7:49pm
Hello again 2770.  It does not surprise me that Hendon refused your offer.  One should bear in  mind that they are the RAF museum and if it doesn't fly then they are not interested.  It took a great deal of hard work for the lads of the ASR & MCS club to have the two boats on display, and had it not been for the persuasive efforts of Ken Hunter (based at Stafford and now retired) they would not be there.  The Marine Branch thankfully was never accepted as part of the RAF proper and we often found that when being annually inspected by the various AOC's that they took us with a pinch of salt and were often overheard saying to their aids " you know I never new that the Raf had boats", " what splendid chaps".  I fully concur with your feelings on leaving a quayside when being blown onto it by a gale of wind.  The RTTLs were very windborne but at least we had the power of the two Sea Griffons to help.  The downside to them was that with both engines at idle,  the boat would creep forward at around 5 knots which made for some interesting boat handling at times. 
FAIR WINDS AND A FAVOURABLE TIDE
Donald
barnacle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2010 at 11:08am
2770's comments re the removal of the fire extiguishing system bought a flashback of memories.

Sat below one morning on 2757 enjoying the 1st brew of the day and one of the deckies appears with a gloomy look on his face.. "Ive just been told they want the Co2 bottles taking out.... and theyve asked if we'll do it as the engineers are replacing an exhaust bend... "

Now this was a job id never had to do before.. I knew where the bottles were of course but it had never occured to me how do you get them out!!

I soon found out !!!

After removing the contents of the locker under the companionway, and finding kit we didnt know we had onboard we proceeded to remove the companionway itself to reveal, securely fastened down, two, or was it 3, huge great rusty metal gas bottles.

Locked off to prevent them firing we got them out of their beds but then had the difficult job of getting them topside (we slid them up a plank seeing as the companionway had been removed.. )

Our comments to the engine room inhabitants need not be recorded as they sat on the engineroom top offering unhelpful advice.

On another note... did anyone ever try to remove a freshwater tank from an RTTL?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafwebfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2010 at 11:07pm
no but I did assist with removing the three tank system on 2772 and replacing it with the five tank set up - very interesting!!!!
Donald
barnacle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2010 at 2:36am
Procedure for removing RTTL Freshwater tank :-

Empty crockery and cutlery stowage above fo'c'sle table (avoid breaking plates)

Remove fo'c'sle table complete

Remove galley front bulkhead

Ask why the fitters or the chippies arent helping with this....

Lift deckboards (very easy, none were secured anyway)

Unfasten all fittings from the water tank (corroded)

Remove tank holding down brackets (very corroded)

Spend the best part of an hour struggling to move the tank

Ask why the fitters or the chippies arent helping with this....Angry

Get heaving line.

Tie heaving line around tank and lead line out through the forward watertight door, up through the fo'rr'ad hatch, through the bullring and onto the anchor winch.

Heave away on the winch till the tank finally is withdrawn from its seating (hoping that it moves before the heaving line gives way under the strain Confused )

Manhandle tank through the sickbay, up the companionway and deposit on the dockside.

Reinstall all fo'c'sle fittings. (make note to repaint all destroyed paintwork)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafwebfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2010 at 8:17pm
Fitters and chippies (wood butchers) were always conspicuous by their absence at times like those, and during Winter, the Fitters would lock themselves in their cosy enginerooms and the Chippies would not move from their wood burning stoves. Boy did they hate slipping in Winter.
Donald
barnacle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2011 at 12:59am

Piquat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piquat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 7:59am
When searching for something else online I tagged this:-

More information:

This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage.
Apr. 04, 1961 - Model of R.A.F. Search And Rescue Launch For Royal Tournament Tours Hendon Area. The one-third scale model (length 26 1/2 ft. beam 8ft. 9ins), of a high-speed R.A.F. search and rescue launch, built by airmen in a hangar at Hendon for use in the display, ''Search and Survival in the R.A.F.' at this year's Royal Tournament, today made its ''shake-down cruise'' when it toured the Hendon area. Keystone Photo Shows:- The model R.A.F. search and rescue launch, pulls up beside a London bus - and ''coxswain'' Sgt. Fred Holt, chats to bus-driver, Percy Rawlings, at Alperton. (Credit Image: Keystone Pictures USA/ZUMAPRESS)

Photographer: KEYSTONE Pictures USA

Date taken: 4 April 1961
Westward View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 9:58am
Hello folks. I was looking online for pictures of the Simon Lake at the Holy Loch and wandered in here. It is great to read about our old dive tender for when as a CPO on the Simon I re-enlisted on her. Any info on where she is now?

Dan.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic