BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Patrol Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RASC 34 Garth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 8:03pm
GARTH 34  Arrives at Henley a day early
Film crew films her progress from Teddington to Hampton Court
(see a snippit on   you tube  34 goes to Henley
and   Google Video   34 goes to Henley)
We in Coastal Motorboat Heritage Trust are honoured to find our craft with the
Lancaster Bomber advertised together on the Henley Website,

The crew will welcome any readers of this forum with a glass of something,
just turn up!
John Cook 

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 10:31pm
The link to the YouTube clip can be seen from
http://rn-coastalforcesveterans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=142
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
John Cook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 8:52am
Garth back up to Hampton Court yesterday carrying two new helmsmen.
The First is 20yr old Andrew Spencer, in the fourth year of his Waterman Apprentiship,
already licenced to carry 120 passengers on the non tidal Thames, he will have to wait until he 'gets the key of the door' to carry that number in the tidal Thames.
Our Second Helmsman is Cecil Bannister RN Retired, the Wartime Helmsman of
HMS Fury (one of Lord Louis Mountbatten's Destroyers).
Both are Members of our Trust.
Other Members and friends were on board taking advntage of our offer of a ride on Garth.
John Cook
avon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 7:44pm
Hi there
I was wondering whether i would be able to visit the Garth at somepoint - I own the Avon and I am currently refurbishing her; get a look at the how the bits look originally would be really useful
Any guidance would appreciated
Cheers
Richard
John Cook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 8:20pm
Garth left Richmond on Tuesday, now at the Quay in Sandwich Town (one of the Cinque Ports in England).
She will stay until August Bank Holiday (Sandwich Maritime Festival).

The team which took her to Henley TTBR have made a Log of the event. Copies of the log
seven pages are on sale from our Trust for £2.  The planning maps dossier twenty one pages of map planning of the route, £5. Coastal Motorboat Heritage Trust. 
John Cook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 11:17pm
R ASC 34 GARTH
Back at Sandwich for the Maritime Festival.
Preparing the foredeck to receive the Two Pounder 37mm Vickers type pom pom,
the two Lewis Guns having attracted great interest.

The journey back down the Thames from Hammerton's Ferry was not a pleasant one...
taking stock today, the Port Engine (left) is 'hunting' badly so will test the 'lift pump' to see if this helps.... the Starboard Engine is fine but the Deep Sea Seal is dribbling water, have looked at the situation carefully and am of the opinion that the fault will right itself in due course.
My dear fellow Royal Navy shipmate Peter Seaman (one of the last living sailors from the Pearl River incident) has died, his funeral being held on 12th August at Ipswich...I would dearly like to take the boat along, but the engines may make me forgo the sea crossing this time.
J.Cook
Magic Fingers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 1:20pm
John,

If you have a "deep sea seal" leaking you have got a problem. I rather suspect Garth has ordinary stern glands that either need adjusting or repacking. Leaky stern glands have been resposible for more sinkings alongside than anything else. In your berth you can repack the glands between tides.

Richard.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
John Cook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 7:37pm
Garth,   Thanks you, I shall try to make contact with you over the telephone to get further advice on what to do.
There is always a place for you on Garth, should you ever find yourself with nothing to do.
J.Cook
burgundyben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burgundyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 10:33am
Originally posted by John Cook John Cook wrote:

Rthe Port Engine (left) is 'hunting' badly so will test the 'lift pump' to see if this helps....

What engines are they?
Napier Lion engine wanted.
John Cook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 12:33pm
Sir, the engines are Perkins 3524 or is it 6524 diesel turbo charged.....

The engine room is in need of a friendly mechanic, who knows his spark plug from his
carburetor.
Stoker Cook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic